AccuPower IQ338LX - Slight Problem

OttaMattaPia

Newly Enlightened
So after anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new charger, an AccuPower IQ338LX, it arrived today and of course I immediately set it to work.
After reading the User Guide (not really necessary with this one)…I went to set up the charging parameters.

The batteries I tasked it to charge were 4 Tenergy, 10000mAh batteries. All were at an equal state of charge.

But then I ran into a problem.

The charger has 4 slots and each slot can be programmed independently.
The problem is that slot number 2 absolutely refuses to charge at any rate other than the default 500mAh. All of the other 3 slots perform as expected and will charge at 500, 700, 1000 or 1500mAh.

So, even with a battery that charges fine at 1000mAh in slot 4 for example, when I put that same battery in slot 2 it will always revert back to the default charge rate of 500mAh. I've tried with just one battery, different batteries, different charge currents, moved the batteries around… but the result is always the same. I even tried a totally different brand and type of battery. Slot 2 remained uncooperative. Clearly a defect.

Another problem I am having with this charger is that there seems to be some kind of imbalance in the power distribution.
The battery in slot 4 is the hottest, followed by the battery in slot 3, then 2 and the battery in slot 1 remains the coolest. This is with identical batteries at an identical state of charge with nearly identical resistance values. It's as if the current is used in priority by the cells in their order starting with the cell farthest to the right. Temps were taken with a laser thermometer 1 hour after charging began. #4 = 103, #3 = 99, #2 = 90, #1 = 86

If I physically reversed the order of the batteries in the slots, after another hour the temps changed to reflect the same as heating pattern as above.
My conclusion is that current flows in a diminishing amount across the 4 slots regardless of the current setting for the slots going from right to left.
The current is not distributed evenly.

In fact, I don't think slot 1 is charging at all even though it says it is. I'll have to put my VOM leads across it to measure the current.
My conclusion is that the unit has a defective 2nd slot and possibly a defective slot 1.

Based on these problems right off the bat with a brand new unit…..I must confess I was disappointed.
I had high hopes for it based on the fact that it would charge 4 D cells at the same time.
Maybe I just got a really bad unit? I don't know. I'm asking the seller to replace this one so I'll know in about 2 weeks (holidays now).

Will report back then.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: AccuPower IQ338LX - Nightmare

I read your post over on BLF.

It's broken, things happen, so send it back and see what the new one does.

I was one of the first here with the Xtar VP2 and it was promptly recalled for brittle plastic. It was a hassle and I had to wait a month, but it's a great charger.

Chris

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

EDIT: Dont bother i just remember your charging D cells, the C3100 needs adaptors to charge them.

Send it back and get an Opus C3100 instead.

John.

Last edited:

OttaMattaPia

Newly Enlightened
Re: AccuPower IQ338LX - Slight Problem

Thanks Chris & John. You know how it goes...the wait...the disappointment haha!

I'll take a look at the Opus 3100. I thought I had and it wouldn't do 4 D Cells ?

I like the Xtar Dragon but I really wasn't wanting to sink nearly $100 into a charger that is really only for 4 batteries and occasional use.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Chris & John. You know how it goes...the wait...the disappointment haha!

I'll take a look at the Opus 3100. I thought I had and it wouldn't do 4 D Cells ?

I like the Xtar Dragon but I really wasn't wanting to sink nearly $100 into a charger that is really only for 4 batteries and occasional use.

I have two of the C/D adapters that are meant for either the Maha C9000 Wizard One, or the Opus BT-3100/3400 chargers, on the outer two slots and while they're supposed to be iffy on the Maha (some working, some not,) they stayed put in my Maha better than with my Opus 3400.

The Opus models are good chargers, although they've had issues with loud fan noises and the usual infant mortality, so every inexpensive gadget is open to issues. It's the customer service that matters the most, so buy from reputable people, is the moral of the story.

My Opus 3400 came with a 3A wall wart that couldn't charge up four 18650s at 1A without resetting. Robert Dana (Ebay: rdana) sent me replacement, but it was only a 2A model and then he quickly sent me a correct 3A model and it's working well. The bad ones I got to keep and they work well for lighter currents.

Good service.

Same with Richard over at Mountain Elec. when my VP2 was recalled. Even sent me a free Sanyo 18650 FM cell for my troubles, which was a nice touch.

Chris

OttaMattaPia

Newly Enlightened

RDana (ebay) is actually who I got the AccuPower IQ338LX from ;)

Once I requested a return he was indeed very quick to issue a RMA and pick up ticket. I also accidentally ordered another (wrong) charger from him thinking it was the IQ338LX so I could try another but I ordered the wrong one and he quickly cancelled that order and refunded so yes, the customer service was good even though the product let me down this time.

The IQ338LX seemed exactly what I was looking for right now and I'm really let down it didn't; work out. A little gun shy to try another.

I want a good charger with the LCD readout, internal resistance, selectable charge current etc that will handle 4 D Cells natively (without adapters).

There aren't many like that for under $100

I'd almost rather have no charger at all than to buy a SkyRC charger. Those people are the worst on the planet in my experience.
Plus their USB ports are weaker than a wet spaghetti noodle and seem to fail too easily. At least that's been my experience.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

RDana (ebay) is actually who I got the AccuPower IQ338LX from ;)

Once I requested a return he was indeed very quick to issue a RMA and pick up ticket. I also accidentally ordered another (wrong) charger from him thinking it was the IQ338LX so I could try another but I ordered the wrong one and he quickly cancelled that order and refunded so yes, the customer service was good even though the product let me down this time.

The IQ338LX seemed exactly what I was looking for right now and I'm really let down it didn't; work out. A little gun shy to try another.

I want a good charger with the LCD readout, internal resistance, selectable charge current etc that will handle 4 D Cells natively (without adapters).

There aren't many like that for under $100

I'd almost rather have no charger at all than to buy a SkyRC charger. Those people are the worst on the planet in my experience.
Plus their USB ports are weaker than a wet spaghetti noodle and seem to fail too easily. At least that's been my experience.

I've bought a lot of stuff from Robert and started this whole 'revamping' thing with him, five years ago next month!

You got a bad unit, try another one out and see if that's not better?

It's not like you came home and caught your wife with the high school football team, right?

Give it another shot. Your other option is the Maha 808M charger and Robert is out of that one, which only does NiMH, but does D in all 8 bays.

Chris

OttaMattaPia

Newly Enlightened

I've bought a lot of stuff from Robert and started this whole 'revamping' thing with him, five years ago next month!
You got a bad unit, try another one out and see if that's not better?
It's not like you came home and caught your wife with the high school football team, right?

Give it another shot. Your other option is the Maha 808M charger and Robert is out of that one, which only does NiMH, but does D in all 8 bays.

Chris

Might try one more IQ338LX since it does 4 D Cells. Orrrrr might just splurge and get the Dragon

Last edited:

tripplec

Enlightened

I am not sure if that is a different version to what I have which does not have the LX designation. Having gone down the Accupower road already I find it overheats AA cells especially at 1000mA rate which they're suppose to handle even the 2500MA Eneloop types. Not having a backlight screen was another feature I look for now.

Shipping back is a major issue when its in another country since its about half the cost of one of these chargers. I prefer to buy chargers locally or a least able test them before leaving a country if on holiday. I doubt they're tested and we just have to deal with the problem.

Last edited:

OttaMattaPia

Newly Enlightened

Update -----

Today I got the REPLACEMENT IQ338LX and so far so good.

Right off the bat, it does not have that issue the other one had defaulting back to minimum charge current no matter what so I "think" I'm good now.
If it lasts a few years I'll call it a good deal.

The seller (RDANA on ebay) was very quick to ship and very quick to help me with the replacement. So in that respect he is a good seller.
He even sent the replacement via Priority Mail so I couldn't ask for better service from a seller.

He obviously has integrity as far as replacing defective items. So that's what really matters.

I would buy from him again. It's a shame one of the units had a defect since it cost him profits. Even worse that I had to get the one defect....lol

Anyway, all seems well now and truthfully, I was just frustrated when I got the first one and probably over stated the problem. Just a defect. It happens.
I
still have no information on the remainder of the warranty. I think RDANA will handle things for a few weeks but after that I'm on my own.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

Keep an eye on it and if you even smell trouble, contact Robert and try and get a credit on something else that he sells. I wouldn't deal with a third go-round.

Chris

OttaMattaPia

Newly Enlightened

Keep an eye on it and if you even smell trouble, contact Robert and try and get a credit on something else that he sells. I wouldn't deal with a third go-round.

Chris

Roger that. Hoping for the best here.

Last edited:

OttaMattaPia

Newly Enlightened
Re: AccuPower IQ338LX - slight Problem

It's now two years later......(2 days shy)
The IQ338XL has seen a lot of use.

It's still going. I do notice some discrepancy in the capacities and resistances reported from one slot to another but otherwise I would buy another. Especially since I have a lot of D cells to charge.
No other charger on the market can charge 4 D-cells, has an LCD backlit display and can do discharge cycling at various mA settings.

Last edited:

Repsol600rr

Enlightened

Ive got a question for you. I have the same charger and when yours is plugged in but no batteries are in it and is sitting idle, does the screen flash sporadically? Its a very brief flash and doesnt seem to have any predicatble pattern. Just randomly flashes. Its REALLY annoying so I just leave it unplugged till I need it. Is that normal behavior for these. Works fine otherwise.

OttaMattaPia

Newly Enlightened

Ive got a question for you. I have the same charger and when yours is plugged in but no batteries are in it and is sitting idle, does the screen flash sporadically? Its a very brief flash and doesnt seem to have any predicatble pattern. Just randomly flashes. Its REALLY annoying so I just leave it unplugged till I need it. Is that normal behavior for these. Works fine otherwise.

No, it never does that.
When it's idle, the screen is completely dark and right beside my desk so I would notice ANY blinks or even slight flickers.

Sounds like a fault in one of the buttons or the wiring under the front panel.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened

Yeah it certainly didnt seem like something they would have designed into it. Oh well. Its not too big a deal to plug it in when I need it.