Nitecore LR30 Review.

narmattaru

Enlightened
review example was provided me by Gearbest. Here is product page at store.

----

Until Nitecore released LR30, there was only one serious manufacturer, who cared to make camping lanters : Fenix and it`s CL20\25R\30R.

and now we have something else, something cheaper and smaller. but what abot rest, performance and build quality?

e0aaa73cb0.jpg

826ec85f50.jpg

PACKAGE AND APPEARANCE

Blister is definetely not what i like, in situation when product comes with some spare parts (and here it is a spare sealing rubber)

c95046.jpg

5d3d69.jpg

Ok, forget blister.

LR30 is about the same size as Fenix 25R, but last one is about 50% vider (and 30R looks like giant , comparing to them both)

5a06f5.jpg

Size is not only the diffference, speaking about appearance. LR30 doesn`t feel as much solid is any of this Fenix`s pair. But, to be frank, matte reflector is quite hard. And yellow plastic part doesn`t make an impression of something unbreakable, like CL stuff does. I can puch it with fingers little bit.

But, to be frank, if you are not going to jump on it, or throw at rocks, it`ll be ok.

for the rest, appearance is simple and quite good-looking. I like it. Compact and accurate.

c6ca51.jpg

a827a2.jpg

there is a rubbber band to hang LR30
32a512.jpg

d72b72.jpg

A pair of magnets at the bottom is not centered. so there is no chance to level it perfectly when try to use only one magnet.

But, anyway, they do they work well and gravitates to metall as they are supposed to do.

Daughter rapidly understood how to tune her pram.

087304.jpg

e3e965.jpg

Here is that sealing rubber. (and there is also spare one included in package)
d3a79e.jpg

here it is.

+ compact size and modest but good design
- i`m not sure it suits for using in extreme conditions. CL feeils like it can survive nuclear war )
UI

really simple.

After inserting new battery LR30 starts to show this usual nitecore voltage-meter blinks. 4blinks and 1blinks mean 4.1v at battery. Ok, good, i`ve always liked this.

Long press from off starts primary light, short presses will switch brightnesses.

2 quick presses will enter Red light mode, short presses will switch between constant, beacon, SOS.

To exit from all modes - long press.

Anyone will get used to UI immediately.

LR30 performs

Ok,Hi-Cri is good. But as for me, neutral white is better.

Just take a look, may be you prefer something else, of course.

c60e7e.jpg

233a9b.jpg

aa567f.jpg

There is no PWM-shimmering in any mode.

My kitchen 3х4 meters. what can i say... Red light is BRIGHT! it`s so bright that it deserves even including 2 brightness levels in red-light mode. Now you can either develop films there or shoot movie about maniacs.

In high mode CL25R and LR30 have the same brighntess, but as they have different shape of reflector, one (LR30) with it`s one directional (one hemispherical, let`s say) light is better to hang or attach to wall, while another - CL25R is better to put on table, you can see dark blind spot right under CL25R. the one the LR30 doesn`t have.

But...while CL25R have it`s high constantly, LR30 will stepdown from it, take a look at video below.

Wo this light is better for smaller area, like 1-2 persons tent. In this case it`ll give enough light.

I put 2600 protected battery inside. With 3400-3500 it`ll provide user with night-long illumination.

OVERALL.

I`d say, for LR30 is a good choice for the price if you are not against cool white light (though i hope it`ll "stepdown" after some time)

I also hope that in 2nd version Nitecore will put neutral white LEDs instead of cool white, and make 2 red-light brighntesses. Ah, and adding extra 1mm of plastic to this coloured bottom part will also improve LR30`s sturdiness.

Hope you , guys, like this review . if there is any quiestions, feel free to ask )

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review.

This and the LA10CRI both have cool emitters that Nitecore calls "Neutral". My LA10CRI was close to 5500K. I got rid of them immediately because I think this colour temperature is unsuitable for a camping lantern. The LA10CRI was well built unlike this light however. This light is made of flimsy plastic and its battery compartment clasp looks like it will break in no time. It is just a plastic tab with a hole in it that bends and slides over a plastic bump. It's a pretty ridiculous design. Both this and the LA10CRI dont have anywhere close to a moonlight mode either which is disappointing(this is a problem with many camping lanterns unfortunately).

I am glad to see Nitecore release some high CRI lights but, I really think they missed the mark with this and the LA10CRI(the LA10CRI is definitely the better of the two though). Hopefully they will take the criticisms and make a better offering for the next generation.

I think the Fenix CL series are much better lights overall. They are far better built, have strong metal closing mechanisms, metal hangging loops, and are actual neutral white(although even warmer would be nice).

Last edited:

narmattaru

Enlightened
what about battery compartment, i couldn`t pick proper words, so did you )
totally agree with you

but when it comes to price, we have to remember that 25r quite more expensive. in some cases this may be a crucial for decision to buy or not

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
what about battery compartment, i couldn`t pick proper words, so did you )
totally agree with you

but when it comes to price, we have to remember that 25r quite more expensive. in some cases this may be a crucial for decision to buy or not

This light is more comparable to the CL20, not the CL25 though. And, the CL20 is actually $5 cheaper right now and it is a much better light in almost every aspect. The only thing the LR30 has going for it is the slightly higher output and runtime due to the 18650 power source. But, that is kind of offset by the fact that the CL20 can take both AA's(Lithium primaries, NiMh or Alkaline) or CR123a(primary, RCR123, or 16340)and will have much better cold weather performance on Lithium primaries or CR123a.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
One also has to look at the intended users. I for one will never be buying a CLnn light. I have no need for a lantern like that*. Before I wound up as a permanent pedestrian (long story, irreverent here) I was considering purchasing the LR30 as my car light. Nice levels of white light if needed for things like late night tire changes, magnets and hanging strap so it can be used almost anywhere, and nice red flashing light for emergency beacon use if total breakdown. This is a really good choice for keeping in a drawer as a power failure light or, as you said, a one or two person tent for personal use.

*Many, many moons ago I bought a 3D krypton lantern as a power failure room light. As LEDs improved, I got tired of the piddly output of the krypton bulb and upgraded to a nice LED PR substitute. And I have some C to D adapters and a dozen C size cells sitting around waiting to be used. I also have the neat little Rayovac 4C lantern (what can I say, $20) that serves as a prime example of the advantage of a large reflector even with a low output LED. Talk about a pencil beam.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a separate note, I must be getting old. I could swear that I saw specs for the LR30 that specified two solid red modes, and 1khz, 2khz, and 10khz red flashing modes, with no SOS. Oh well, family has a history of Alzheimer's, maybe I'm just starting early. :sigh:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. I own a CL25R and really like all its features, construction, and quality but it doesn't always fill my intended role for it very well. I bought it with the intention of using it as a portable work light that could I stick to the underside of a vehicle hood, to the gutter of a house as a temporary area light etc. but with it being a 360° lantern it doesn't always put light where i need it. When I first saw this listed on Nitecore's site I thought it would fit my needs better being it is a directional light. After reading your review though I'm leary of it as I don't think it would hold up well. My CL25R gets, dropped, kicked, and knocked off things often and so far no damage. I also strongly prefer a neutral tint and this just looks to cool for my tastes. I may still get one of these if I find it cheap just to use for light duty tasks and have as a spare for emergencies.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. I own a CL25R and really like all its features, construction, and quality but it doesn't always fill my intended role for it very well. I bought it with the intention of using it as a portable work light that could I stick to the underside of a vehicle hood, to the gutter of a house as a temporary area light etc. but with it being a 360° lantern it doesn't always put light where i need it. When I first saw this listed on Nitecore's site I thought it would fit my needs better being it is a directional light. After reading your review though I'm leary of it as I don't think it would hold up well. My CL25R gets, dropped, kicked, and knocked off things often and so far no damage. I also strongly prefer a neutral tint and this just looks to cool for my tastes. I may still get one of these if I find it cheap just to use for light duty tasks and have as a spare for emergencies.

Grab a CL20 they are great little lanterns. I prefer a directional lantern as well and like the CL20 much more then the CL25R. It has a warmer CCT then the CL25R as well which is nice.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grab a CL20 they are great little lanterns. I prefer a directional lantern as well and like the CL20 much more then the CL25R. It has a warmer CCT then the CL25R as well which is nice.
Thanks! I debated between the 20 and 25R and decided on the higher output and longer run times of the 25R. I have since realized I need the CL20 and CL30R as well.