Copper Flashlight Mesmerized non Flashaholics

Bucur

Enlightened
My wife has always been sensible regarding my flashlights. She could have questioned their necessity but she never did. For her, they are my toys and this is OK but she never appreciated them for herself. That is; until I showed her my Olight S2 Baton Copper Edition.

Her reaction was surprising. She knew that this new "toy of the big boy" was for replacing my Nitecore SRT5 that I was grieving for having lost. She said that she would like to have the copper one for herself, if I eventually find the SRT5. I was shocked. I told her that this can be hers but she refused my offer unless I find the one I lost. I asked her what she would do with her copper flashlight, if I happen to find the SRT5. She said "maybe nothing but this copper one is like a piece of art". I asked her if it was not a bit large and heavy for her purse. She admitted but she was willing to go through these inconveniences just for the sake of its beauty. She also spoke highly of my copper flashlight to our friends and relatives. In return, they asked me to show my new "toy" and they all praised its beauty. I am really surprised that copper was such a hit among non flashaholics. I am sure that the regular S2 Baton would not even come close for them to the excitement the copper version triggered.

My present to my wife for the New Year was an Olight I3E-Cu Copper. She liked it even better due to its miniscule size and single mode UI. She is very happy with it. She tells me how much better it is than her iPhone in illuminating the doghouse at nighttime when feeding the dog. What I try to get is; how can copper be the means to realize this? My wife thinks her answer is clear: "This is all about aesthetics; this has nothing to do with illumination"!

In spite of having preferred the copper version of the S2 Baton due to its appearance, I still cannot agree on the clarity of her answer. However, it is a solid fact that my first (and actually sole) copper flashlight is enthusiastically welcomed by those around me, as well as my wife's copper keychain light. They do not seem to have similar feelings regarding, say, aluminum flashlights as opposed to plastic ones.

Did you have similar experiences? Is copper magic?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Hey, my wife nabbed my rainbow PL2 before I could open the package.

Don't question why, just roll with it. Seriously. Whatever you do don't try to guess what other flavors of finishes she'll dig on next. It's a "women are from Venus men are from Mars" deal we've struggled with since Adam and Eve. Enjoy the buzz.

But copper flashlights have always been popular. It's a jewelry thing.

HughJorgan

Newly Enlightened
Does she realize the copper will patina, and will she still like it after it does?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome job. Cu is awesome gift for sure.

That Olight is a great gift idea.

In addition to that one, some of my favorite small Copper lights & why they are:
47 Preon (Awesome rear clicky. Super grippy machined groves)
BLF/Astrolux A01 (great budget rig, wonderful warm tint)
Lumintop Tool (Killer looking Rear clicky)
Its cousin the Maratac (best Cu knurling on a small light)
Maratac AA (some really neat knurling)
The Manker TimeBack (Great output and feel)
Dark Sucks Beta QR (the second version is the best Cu keychain light ever)
TnC Nano-Lux & Micro-Lux Dragon (Some of the best output lights on the market for their size. Amazing lights)
CooYoo Quantum CR. (Best Cu necklace light with built in micro USB charging)

There are more, I just wanted to list a few of the neatest AA or AAA lights at the moment. Others feel free to include some I forgot.

So, yup, I love small Cu lights!! I have also gifted many of them. Just about everyone seems to appreciate a quality Copper light. The small ones don't really have weight issues. Once you get into the AA and above, they do start to get hefty. But, I guess it is the feel and the smell people like. lol

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
Congrats on converting the wife. I admit, I have trouble understanding the appeal of copper as I've tried to lighten my load for years. Thus, I tend towards Ti. In an attempt to better understand I tried to replace my Maratac al Aaa keychain with a new CU version for a few days but am back to the original as the copper still seemed to heavy (my imagination?) So, what is it about copper?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is the 'Oh, shiny!' syndrome. Give someone a choice between a Cross pen set in black, or a set in silver or brass/copper/etc that is only have as good, more often then not they will take the shiny set. Let's face it - black anodized aluminum or stainless steel just aren't that sexy. Copper, brass, titanium, now those look expensive and draw attention.
In the small town I grew up in, some of the older retired guys would meet at the local cafe every morning for coffee. The delighted in asking little kids which they would rather have, a nickle or a dime. Until the learned about money, they would always take the nickel because it was bigger, and therefore had more value in their eyes. I bet if I set my Lumintop Tool Cu and my Nitecore EA11 side by side, most of the unenlightened would pick the Tool, just because of their perceived value that the Tool was better than the EA11 because it was shiny.

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
I think it is the 'Oh, shiny!' syndrome.

Ok, I get that and to each his own. If it gave the OPs wife a reason to get interested and support his purchases, good on him. But, is that really all there is to it? As a NOOB, I guess I thought I was missing something like better heat sink, longer run times or something. No?

Bucur

Enlightened
Thank you all for your replies.

HughJorgan; she knows that copper will patina. She will decide later if she likes it all shiny or in patina. I offered her to bring it back to shiny if she desires so. I reckon the ketchup trick will work but as of yet, I have no personal experience on this, other than the vids I have watched.

JLeephoto; I think the "Oh, shiny" syndrome Timothybil points out and the "jewelry" factor bykfixer mentions are really all there is to this. Copper maybe a better heat conductor than aluminum but the difference is negligible in this application. Maybe the additional mass which is not negligible may retard the time it takes to reach a certain temp but frankly, aluminum is not bad at all in heat conductivity so I have no substantial technical justification. I preferred copper to aluminum just for appearance but for me, appearance is not all there is when it comes to flashlights. I was looking for a 1 x 18650 flashlight to carry in my brown leather briefcase and the S2 Baton Copper Edition seemed to be a good match. I am afraid this is all there is to copper. :sssh: :eek:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ok, I get that and to each his own. If it gave the OPs wife a reason to get interested and support his purchases, good on him. But, is that really all there is to it? As a NOOB, I guess I thought I was missing something like better heat sink, longer run times or something. No?

Copper bodies conduct electricity better than alluminum for sure. In vintage and classic lights ones with copper parts in the loop gave better run times. At some point in order to lower manufacturing costs copper parts were replaced with less expensive alloys that would still conduct electricity well enough to get the job done in what were becoming deemed as disposable.

But in todays world of choices in bodies it's more of a bling than anything. Now maybe some use copper to build a more efficient circuitry, but take the light this thread is about that comes in various finishes, that is probably not the case as they may choose nickel silver plated parts to accomplish that in each variety of that model.

mbw_151

Enlightened
If you really want some attention, want to eliminate the patina and want even lower resistance, plate some gold on that copper substrate! There will be some small cost ....

archimedes

Flashaholic
A long time ago, Peak used to do gold plating over brass for certain limited run torches, but I haven't seen one of these in years ....

Bucur

Enlightened
As a matter of personal taste, my wife and I would detest a gold plated flashlight. On that note, a plain gold flashlight, even if free of charge, would be tawdry. If free of charge, selling it would make a small fortune, though. In that case, the giants like 6 x D Maglite or 4 x D Fenix TK70 would instantly convert anyone to absolute flashaholic. :laughing:

A plain copper one, on the other hand, has a classy feel for me, as a side benefit that is worth the additional price, provided that it is mainly for being elegantly carried in formal attire in a brown leather briefcase. However, I was not expecting that this unsubstantial feature would be so highly welcomed by the non-flashaholics around me.

archimedes

Flashaholic
No worries ... those aren't my lights, either :)

And this is my only copper light ...

RGDfqFQ.jpg

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, my wife nabbed my rainbow PL2 before I could open the package.

Don't question why, just roll with it. Seriously. Whatever you do don't try to guess what other flavors of finishes she'll dig on next. It's a "women are from Venus men are from Mars" deal we've struggled with since Adam and Eve. Enjoy the buzz.

But copper flashlights have always been popular. It's a jewelry thing.

That's funny, my wife did too(grabbed the rainbow PL2),...now I find her sneaking glances into my 6 drawer wooden tool chest of flashlights asking "what other pretty things are you hiding?", good thing I had the blue PVD Ti PK Knight in my pocket.....

Hey, Crazzyeddiethefirst,

What's your wife's e mail addy? I'm still looking to purchase an orange Preon P2. Perhaps she needs some mad-money. :p

It's good to see you posting. :wave:

~ Chance