Search for Non-Conductive Headlamp

jesuter

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to purchase in bulk headlamps for my Operations personnel. After multiple Google searches, I have not been successful in finding a non-conductive headlamp that satisfies the following specifications:
1. Attaches to hard hat.
2. Adjustable tilt head.
3. Non-conductive external surface (does not have to be intrinsically safe). This has been the biggest challenge to satisfy and is necessary, as Operations has requirement for wearing no conductive items when working around energized electrical equipment.
4. Both spot and flood light with high, medium, and low illumination options.
5. Minimum 400 lumens on high setting
6. Minimum 8 hour run duration on high illumination
7.1 Rechargeable, protected 18650 non-proprietary battery that is compatible with two CR 123/A disposable batteries.
or
7.2 Rechargeable, protected, non-proprietary 21700 battery.
8. Battery level status indicator.
Your assistance in identifying headlamp candidates that satisfy the above specifications would be greatly appreciated.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. That's some heavy duty requirements. I think you may need to lower your specs, or get them custom made for you. I suggest that you contact Underwater Kinetics, they make a lot of industrial flashlights, and give them your requirements and volume needed, and see what they can come up with.

Good luck.

LEDphile

Enlightened
Your output and runtime requirements present some rather significant challenges for the thermal management of the headlamp, especially without the option for an exposed metal heatsink. 400 lumens out the front is around 5W to the LED, and that heat has to go somewhere. Additionally, at 5W for 8 hours, you're talking 40 watt-hours of battery, which is roughly 10AH of lithium-ion cells (so 2 21700 cells or 3 18650 cells). Not impossible, but won't be compact or inexpensive and I suspect the market for such a beast is small enough that it isn't currently available commercially.

Last edited:

Alaskantinbender

Newly Enlightened
As has already been said, pretty hefty requirements. The only thing that comes close that I know of is the various plastic body Streamlight headlamps. But none of them will match your requirements. I have used both the incandescent and LED models for 12-hour shifts at night working the flight line servicing aircraft and they worked well.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's be serious: all together is not possible!
Especially because of the non conductive (= plastic housing) part.

My advice: search for a mining equipment store, or visit a mine nearby your location, and let them show what might be of use.
They are at least somewhere near of what is asked for.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
This might illuminate his need some. From Wikipedia's page on Burlington, KS:

Wolf Creek

Located just northeast of Burlington is the Wolf Creek Generating Station, the only nuclear power plant in Kansas. This plant is situated on Coffey County Lake, which was constructed as the cooling lake for the plant. The plant has been generating electricity since 1985, and is a local landmark. Wolf Creek Nuclear Operating Corporation ("WCNOC") operates the plant, and is a subsidiary of the plant's owners Kansas Gas & Electric (part of Westar Energy), Kansas City Power & Light (part of Great Plains Energy), and KEPCO (an association of Kansas electric power cooperatives).[14] Westar and Great Plains Energy merged in 2018 to form Evergy, while maintaining the Westar and KCP&L names until October 2019.[15][16]

From the sound of his post, I imagine his people work in close proximity to high voltage/amperage power generation/transmission equipment.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Closest I can find is a headlamp from Milwaukee tool.
Take a look, there are a few. I think the one I saw was about $70.
Several of the line crews I've worked around use Milwaukee headlamps. My crew always carry 2. I don't carry one. Seem to be decent but still none of them will meet any of his specs. The battery pack versions might

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing will meet those specs; some are simply impossible.
Just trying to get as close as possible.
Relying on manufacturers specs doesn't help either, we know how that works out.
Oh yeah we know. There's a reason he's been searching for a while and hasn't found it. It's not available haha

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
The speleo (headlamp)maker: Petzl
once also had (maybe still has) an industrial lighting dept.
Maybe they can also be of help.
--> Petzl USA

As to that silly ;-) mentioning of 18650 / 2*CR123 / 21700 cells:
What! apart from a BIG external (rechargeable) battery pack You think should be able to deliver all that power + illumination time? - for a hard hat + battery pack split light.
With any cells, they will have to be changed within short time; a few times during one use.

Therefore the miners I mentioned, they have exactly the same needs.

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
The speleo (headlamp)maker: Petzl
once also had (maybe still has) an industrial lighting dept.
Maybe they can also be of help.
--> Petzl USA

As to that silly ;-) mentioning of 18650 / 2*CR123 / 21700 cells:
What! apart from a BIG external (rechargeable) battery pack You think should be able to deliver all that power + illumination time? - for a hard hat + battery pack split light.
With any cells, they will have to be changed within short time; a few times during one use.

Therefore the miners I mentioned, they have exactly the same needs.
That's why I mentioned Koehler wheat lamps. I used to work in mining supply chain many years ago and we serviced them on site. I live in the coal fields of Virginia. 😁