Old versus new versions of Philips 921 LED bulb

promethean-in-fla

Newly Enlightened
What are the differences between the newer version (12789LPB2) of the Philips 921 LED and the older one (12841B2) for back-up lights?

I'm basing which is the newer one on what Amazon says and a thread I saw on a Subaru forum that quoted a response from Philips that was pretty vague about the differences but did say 12789LPB2 was newer.

According to the packaging, 12841B2 is 3 watts and 12789LPB2 is 2.2 watts. The Philips website says 3.4 watts for the 12841B2. I haven't been able to find info about the 12789LPB2 on their website. There are clearly differences in the bulb appearance, but I'm not sure what to make of them, especially for my application: back-up lights on a 2009 Toyota Tacoma. Both are still available on Amazon. My local Pep Boys has only the newer one.

These links show the bulbs.

12841B2
http://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/12841B2/vision-led-exterior-lighting/overview

12789LPB2
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I3OTWQ2/?tag=cpf0b6-20

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The 12841 is a much higher-performing bulb than the 12789 (which is newer, but not better. It was introduced because Philips, in its infinite wisdom, decided the previous bulb was too expensive.)

Sadden

Enlightened
I suppose if you are buying LEDs for their lifespan and not their output then i suppose a cheaper design makes sense...

promethean-in-fla

Newly Enlightened
The 12841 is a much higher-performing bulb than the 12789 (which is newer, but not better. It was introduced because Philips, in its infinite wisdom, decided the previous bulb was too expensive.)

Thanks for the response. If you have a chance to elaborate on what are the design differences and how the 12841 performance is superior, I would like to learn.

Newer used to mean better in most cases. Nowadays it too often means a quality decrease. Within reasonable limits, I'm more interested in the performance than the price. The prices I've seen don't differ enough to matter to me.

promethean-in-fla

Newly Enlightened
I sent the following inquiry to Philips earlier this week:

""I was referred to this email address by Philips Auto Lighting at 800-257-6054,
where the representative who answered was unable to answer my question.
Apparently, there are an older and newer version of the Philips 921LED back-up
light bulb: 12841B2 and 12789LPB2. What are the differences between the two,
especially as they relate to which bulb may function better in my 2009 Toyota
Tacoma. Based on my research, both are available for sale."

The response I received today from Consumer Care Philips Aftermarket says the newer version provides better lighting on certain tail lamp designs (without saying which ones or why), they do not have enough data on my specific vehicle to answer with respect to my vehicle, and I should try the newer version.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The new version exists because they decided the old version was too expensive. That is a fact. Another fact: the customer relations department of any company is NEVER going to say "Our new version is the result of cheapening the old version".

Buy the old version while you still can.

deluxe

Newly Enlightened
According to the packaging, 12841B2 is 3 watts and 12789LPB2 is 2.2 watts. The Philips website says 3.4 watts for the 12841B2. I haven't been able to find info about the 12789LPB2 on their website. There are clearly differences in the bulb appearance, but I'm not sure what to make of them, especially for my application: back-up lights on a 2009 Toyota Tacoma. Both are still available on Amazon. My local Pep Boys has only the newer one.
I couldn't find any meaningful descriptions online, so I bought both from Amazon.com, intending to use their generous return policy. I installed them side by side my VW Golf SportWagen. The older 12841B2 is clearly better. I checked from up close and about 20 feet away. It has a more "even" light distribution that works better with the reflector in the Golf SportWagen reverse light housing. In terms of build quality, the new version looks like it was designed with cost-reduction mind and has no silver reflector like the old version.

Pepboys.com has the old version in stock online (https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/1164581/00237)

I recommend trying both to see which works better with your car.