Pilot - looking for nice LED flashlight for flying/survival

CC268

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I will be purchasing a nice headlamp (Nitecore NU30 probably) as a headlamp will be more useful for flying. However, I would like to get a nice flashlight to keep in my flight bag and for general use.

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Up to $100.

3) Format:

I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
I suppose size doesn't matter - something for every day use that isn't huge

____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
____MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

Either is fine.

____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

7) What power source do you want to use?

Open to recommendations.

____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.
____I don't know/I need more information on power sources.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

____I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
This is a good question - something that could be for both general use and survival would be great. I will most likely use the headlamp for preflighting my airplane at night, red light for cockpit use, etc. So the flashlight would be used for survival or just lighting things up more than my headlamp would.

____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
These three seem the most relevant to my needs...can't single out a specific one.

Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____Any size switch will do.
____I don't care.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I don't care.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____I don't care.

15) Water resistance
Not necessarily a requirement, but I suppose its a nice addition.

____IPX4 (Splash resistant)
____IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
Inside a backpack or airplane in the side pocket

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.
A red filter is a bonus, but not needed as my headlamp will have a red light.

CC268

Newly Enlightened
If I have missed any info I should be providing please let me know. Just looking for a decent flashlight for flying.

OGWells

Newly Enlightened
What aircraft are you flying? Being able to preflight a Cessna vs Illuminating a tail on a 747 could require two different lights. I really like my Zebralight H600w. It offers enough light to light up larger aircraft, it can go very very dim for preserving night vision and providing enough light -- I don't think red does much for me there and don't like the way it makes certain colors unreadable/disappear. If anything I would do blue/green for NVD compatibility. For survival, it has a pretty good strobe mode that is visible from very far away, and if you need to move a long distance in the dark to get to rescue, it's very usable for 24+ hours at "M1/~60Lms". They also sell a flashlight version of it, but I use the headlamp version and just keep it loosely around my neck on a Nomex strap.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two suggestions, both of which would be a nice size to throw into a ready bag, but still do a good job.

First, the Nitecore EA11 w/14500 cell. Nice mode spacing, medium range, very compact. Has a secondary red LED for preserving night vision and being a beacon. the CR123/16340 version is the EC11. Both are roughly the same size, (head and tail are the same, only difference is in the body tube) and fit nicely on a belt if you are so inclined.

Second would be the Nitecore P30. it is a 18650/2xCR123/2x16340 light with very nice mode spacing - each mode is essentially twice as bright as the previous one. Has a nice large head for a good sized reflector so has a 600m throw.

CC268

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses guys. I hear good things about Zebralight. Nitecore I seem to hear differing opinions on their quality?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back more than several years ago Nitecore had real problems with quality. Since then they have really cleaned up their act, at least as far as I can tell. They still make what I consider bad engineering decisions every now and then, like the high parasitic drain in some of their lights, but that is not a quality issue. Everyone makes a few items with quality issues once in a while, and once in a great while the same person will wind up with two of them. Unfortunately, due to the previous history Nitecore has, it seems that anyone who has a problem becomes very vocal about it, thus perpetuating the poor image. I myself have over a dozen Nitecore lights of various models bought in the last five years, and have had no problems with any of them. I like them a lot. Since my needs were being met by Nitecore products I never got into any other manufacturer's products to compare.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back more than several years ago Nitecore had real problems with quality. Since then they have really cleaned up their act, at least as far as I can tell. They still make what I consider bad engineering decisions every now and then, like the high parasitic drain in some of their lights, but that is not a quality issue. Everyone makes a few items with quality issues once in a while, and once in a great while the same person will wind up with two of them. Unfortunately, due to the previous history Nitecore has, it seems that anyone who has a problem becomes very vocal about it, thus perpetuating the poor image. I myself have over a dozen Nitecore lights of various models bought in the last five years, and have had no problems with any of them. I like them a lot. Since my needs were being met by Nitecore products I never got into any other manufacturer's products to compare.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I don't find a headlamp useful in the cockpit. Its fine for looking down at charts and at the instrument panel. But when you go to look up and out the glare off the windshield just bounces back in your face, Effectively blinding you. I love a good headlamp for a great many tasks, but flying isn't one of them.

As for flashlights, I presently use a Malkoff MD2 with high/low ring and a 18650 battery. The drop in I use is a M361. Been my best light so far.

Other lights I have used.. Nitecore SRT3, Streamlight Sidewinder, and Nitecore CR6

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I came here to say Malkoff, even though it may be a tad of a budget stretch, it is worth the investment. Zebra light is good too. The light I would choose would have the capability of running a 18650 or two CR123's. That way you can run either if you got in a jam.

If you need a Headlamp, then the Nitecore HC90 (runs on a 18650). Multi colored LEDs to choose from, including red, plus you can adjust the brightness of the Main led with a easy Slide switch. If can go from super low to very bright. Either way you go, I would probably try to have both lights fueled by the same cell. That way you could interchange if necessary.

Also, get quality cells for whatever light you choose. IF you don't know, come back and ask after you choose your lights.

cp2315

Enlightened
I would recommend Surefire G2X pro. Fairly compact, light weight, tough and reliable as any, works fine with 16650 cells, and only ~$50. Two modes 15 and 320 lumens.

32324891144_0d53a2b94b_c.jpg

Last edited: