Questions about the Opus BT-C3100 2.2

zakazak

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

I after endless waiting and a big fight with gearbest I finally got my Opus BT-C3100 2.2. Before I start using it I have a few questions:

1. Will the charger automatically detect how much voltage / mAH it can charge? Or is there anything that could happen if I dont take care when charging/discharging?

2. Is this a correct description of what the different modes do?

In charge mode you simply pop in a battery, you will be shown the initial battery voltage before the charge starts. You can then select the current you wish to charge the cell at.

In Discharge mode you can discharge the inserted battery to a preset level. You will also be shown how many energy was discharged from the cell after the discharge is done.
It is then trickle charged to prevent it discharging any further.

In Refresh mode the charger will discharge and charge the battery 3 times to allow old batteries that have not been used in a long time to restore some of their capacity.
After the 3 cycles are complete you will be able to see the total mAH of the cell. This lets you track the health of the battery over time if you like.

Test mode checks the capacity of the battery by immediately discharging the battery after it is charged (it will charge, discharge and then charge again).

Quick Test allows for a check of the internal resistance of the battery. This test is quick (under 10 seconds) and will show you if the battery is a good contender for high current applications.
You can test batteries with other chemistries using this function such as alkaline and any other 1.5 volt battery.

Anything else I should know as a complete newbie who is using this the first time to charge his 18650s ?

Thanks in advance !

markr6

Flashaholic
"In Discharge mode you can discharge the inserted battery to a preset level"

This is either incorrect, or I didn't know about it. I know you can select the discharge rate (200ma, 300ma, etc), but I'm not sure about a preset level. As that is written, it sounds like they're saying you can choose a voltage to stop at. I believe it is always 2.9v. I'm guessing they meant discharge rate, not voltage.

Great charger! I would actually pay twice as much for it (don't tell anyone :))

zakazak

Newly Enlightened
"In Discharge mode you can discharge the inserted battery to a preset level"

This is either incorrect, or I didn't know about it. I know you can select the discharge rate (200ma, 300ma, etc), but I'm not sure about a preset level. As that is written, it sounds like they're saying you can choose a voltage to stop at. I believe it is always 2.9v. I'm guessing they meant discharge rate, not voltage.

Great charger! I would actually pay twice as much for it (don't tell anyone :))

Well, I copied the modes explenation from google.. so it might be wrong ?

Also: Besides setting the charging/discharging rate (which defaults to a safe value?) there is nothing I would need to set manually ?

Torchmee

Newly Enlightened
Well, I copied the modes explenation from google.. so it might be wrong ?

Also: Besides setting the charging/discharging rate (which defaults to a safe value?) there is nothing I would need to set manually ?

That is correct. Default is 500ma. It is plug and play, set the mode and rate if you wish and go do something else.

Preset means the firmware has a set voltage to stop discharging at, like markr6 said about 2.9v. This is not adjustable.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will this charger charge a single nimh?

You mean like one battery, at a time?

Sure it will.

It will also let you charge up 1 lithium-ion at 1A, two NiMH batteries at 700mA and yet another li-ion at 200mA.

You can even charge up 1 li-ion, discharge one NiMH, discharge one li-ion and charge up a second NiMH battery.

You can also cycle one slot X amount of times and charge/discharge the other three slots.

Chris