A year later...

vibenvy

Newly Enlightened
Well, it's been a little over a year since I made my first post here...

All the bulbs in the Vibes and Trax are still going strong and driving at night has been so much less stressful! Also, not using the fog lights (unless it's actually foggy) and dimming the gauges has also made a huge difference!

I recently re-acquired a 2002 Pontiac Sunfire GT (long story short; I bought it brand new 11.09.02, sold it 06.07.08 [regretted it the moment it left my driveway] and bought it back 02.04.17 after finding it for sale on Craig's List) and the first major thing I knew had to be done was dealing with the terrible headlights. I knew even before getting it, the headlights would need to be replaced because they were very cloudy, hazy, yellowed, etc. Thanks to all the reading I had done here I knew to avoid ANY aftermarket headlights. I was surprised to see a brand new headlight through GM was only $73.xx. Unfortunately, while the driver side headlight is still available through GM, the passenger is not. I managed to find a legitimate GM NOS (new old stock) driver headlight on eBay for $45.00 shipped. The passenger one was not nearly as easy to track down, but eventually I did manage to find a legitimate GM NOS one on Amazon for $116.24 shipped. Also, after all my reading here, I knew immediately I would be getting Philips X-treme Vision +100% bulbs (#9007) to go in the new lights. Everything has arrived and now I just need to get everything installed and get the lights aimed at the local body shop (machine). I can't wait to drive it at night after everything's all buttoned up because let me tell you, the 250+ mile drive home in it was terrible! I couldn't see s**t! Thank goodness I was following my parents in one of the Vibes (following the Vibe down all sorts of dark country roads made me appreciate the awesome headlights even more)!

I will also eventually be replacing the rest of the exterior light housings (with GM NOS)
as they're all pretty crappy looking. And I will be replacing all the bulbs at the same time (nothing fancy, just good old halogen bulbs).

I just thought I'd give a bit of an update and thank you all for the wonderful information I've gotten from this site. I will also update once the headlights on the Sunfire are all buttoned up. Thanks again!

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it's been a little over a year since I made my first post here...
Glad to hear this update.

Also... dimming the gauges has also made a huge difference!
One of the cheapest upgrades for the headlamps is finding the instrument panel dimmer switch :)

I recently re-acquired a 2002 Pontiac Sunfire GT... and the first major thing I knew had to be done was dealing with the terrible headlights. I knew even before getting it, the headlights would need to be replaced because they were very cloudy, hazy, yellowed, etc. Thanks to all the reading I had done here I knew to avoid ANY aftermarket headlights.

I was surprised to see a brand new headlight through GM was only $73.xx. I managed to find a legitimate GM NOS (new old stock) driver headlight on eBay for $45.00 shipped. The passenger one was not nearly as easy to track down, but eventually I did manage to find a legitimate GM NOS one on Amazon for $116.24 shipped. Also, after all my reading here, I knew immediately I would be getting Philips X-treme Vision +100% bulbs (#9007) to go in the new lights. I just need to get everything installed and get the lights aimed at the local body shop (machine). I can't wait to drive it at night after everything's all buttoned up
Sounds like you've been getting some mileage out of our advice. One thing you didn't mention is if you've checked for voltage drop. GM vehicles sometimes run pretty high charging voltages but the Sunfire might have had some "cost reduction" applied to the headlamp circuit. It's also now 15+ years old and the wiring may have degraded further. It's extremely easy to check it the wrong way, and still extremely easy to check it the *right* way-- see this page.

I just thought I'd give a bit of an update and thank you all for the wonderful information I've gotten from this site. I will also update once the headlights on the Sunfire are all buttoned up. Thanks again!
You're welcome! Thanks for popping back in!