Recommend a Micro USB 18650 charger

Bravo30

Newly Enlightened
i have a 12,000 mah Mophie Power Station that i bring backpacking with me. I use it to charge my phone and other electronics. i need something to recharge my 18650 & 14500 batteries in my flashlights. Preferably something small that can handle 2 batteries at once and comes with a micro USB power supply.

thank you,

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xtar MC2? The only disadvantages are that it only charges at .5A per cell, and it does not charge NiMH. But if your powerbank cannot supply more than 1A, and you don't intend to charge NiMH, it will work FINE. It is also VERY compact. There is also the Xtar VC2 Plus Master. It charges from a USB source, but does NOT have a micro USB connector (it uses a USB to barrel connector cord). It is also somewhat larger than the MC2. But it can charge 2 Li-Ions OR NiMH batteries at 1A each.

Bravo30

Newly Enlightened
Xtar MC2? The only disadvantages are that it only charges at .5A per cell, and it does not charge NiMH. But if your powerbank cannot supply more than 1A, and you don't intend to charge NiMH, it will work FINE. It is also VERY compact. There is also the Xtar VC2 Plus Master. It charges from a USB source, but does NOT have a micro USB connector (it uses a USB to barrel connector cord). It is also somewhat larger than the MC2. But it can charge 2 Li-Ions OR NiMH batteries at 1A each.

i like the xtar vc2 plus. last charger i purchased was a PILA IBC. how times have changed in such short time.

Bravo30

Newly Enlightened
im having a tough time finding a reputable site that carries these chargers. any suggestions? (i dont do ebay when it comes to buying things that can possibly burn my house down)

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like the Mophie Power Station has 2 USB outputs so any USB powered charger would work. I have a modified XTAR MP1S charger that is very small and lightweight and can charge the 18650 or 14500 at either a 200mA, 400mA or 800mA rate. (User select able). I'd select 400mA for the 14500 and 800mA for the 18650 to maximize charging speed. You'd need to carry a mini USB cable but shouldn't add any weight of significance. It does comes with cable though. I have a couple of them left and can sell you one. Send me a PM if interested and need pics and more info.

Basically the stock MP1S was too simplistic for me and I liked the chassis. So I replaced the circuit board with one that had more electronics and beefier charger chip. I added a small tactile switch on the side and three status LEDs representing the charge rate that you select. It's still real easy to use but offers more robustness. Also there is reverse battery protection and very low parasitic drain on the battery. The electronics draw hardly any power. So basically the draw from your Mophie is equivalent to what is being driven into the battery being charged.

I'm assuming that before a backpacking trip you fully charge the Mophie and don't worry about recharge on your trip. If you're doing anything with 12v solar or charging the Mophie while on a trip, I have other options that are more efficient and suited for the higher voltage range than to convert the 12v solar energy down to USB (5v) and from there charge a battery.........it's just a little more efficient to go straight from the 12v source to the battery through a single conversion than a two step. But in reality the improvement is insignificant. Since you already have USB outputs, getting a USB powered charger is the best option for you with the Mophie.

terjee

Enlightened
Nitecore F1 and F2 might be interesting to you. They'll also work as power banks, which would allow you some extra flexibility.
One option would be to keep your power in 18650s, for direct use in lights, or through the F1/F2 for phone charging.