Trying to find a battery box that can drive 2x USB Headlights at 2 amp each

mikeloeven

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to find a 4 x 18650 battery box that has dual 2.1 amp ports. I really dont understand why 99% of these boxes have a 1 and a 2 amp port its really annoying when your trying to run a dual headlight system on a mountain bike I have burned out more than a few cheap boxes so far. and the ones that do have high amp ports are usually 6 cell boxes that require spot welding the batteries and do now allow me to quickly swap out the cells which is preferable to long recharge times.

I posted something similar in January but never got any replies
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...t-a-18650-battery-box-with-high-amp-usb-ports

I figured I was asking in the wrong forum so I am re posting here.

Last edited:

Keitho

Enlightened
There are some cheap Amazon 2x18650 power bank that claim a 2A usb output, but I'm not sure I believe them or think they are actually worth $13.99. For comparison, check out the efficiency, temperature, and runtime of a pretty decent 4x18650 charger and 2.4A power bank: http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger Xtar VP4 Plus Dragon UK.html

I am certainly not an expert like many on this forum. But, even with 4 cells, that pretty respectable charger and powerbank is close to 60 deg. C, around 60% efficient, and outputs 2A for 3 hours. I'm not sure I would be happy with the result if I tried to get 2A out of only 2 cells. Even though there are 18650 cells rated over 30A discharge, power bank applications might be problematic even at the seemingly-pedestrian 1A per cell level...that might be why it is so hard to find reputable 2x18650 2A or 4x18650 4A powerbanks.

Just a theory...I hope someone pops up with a good way to draw 1A per cell over USB! I would certainly be interested.

mikeloeven

Newly Enlightened
There are some cheap Amazon 2x18650 power bank that claim a 2A usb output, but I'm not sure I believe them or think they are actually worth $13.99. For comparison, check out the efficiency, temperature, and runtime of a pretty decent 4x18650 charger and 2.4A power bank: http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger Xtar VP4 Plus Dragon UK.html

I am certainly not an expert like many on this forum. But, even with 4 cells, that pretty respectable charger and powerbank is close to 60 deg. C, around 60% efficient, and outputs 2A for 3 hours. I'm not sure I would be happy with the result if I tried to get 2A out of only 2 cells. Even though there are 18650 cells rated over 30A discharge, power bank applications might be problematic even at the seemingly-pedestrian 1A per cell level...that might be why it is so hard to find reputable 2x18650 2A or 4x18650 4A powerbanks.

Just a theory...I hope someone pops up with a good way to draw 1A per cell over USB! I would certainly be interested.

I already have a dedicated charger though its a previous generation XTAR VC4 but its just a charger I am looking for the usb bat box to drive the headlamps. The most important thing for me is the swappable cells there are plenty of power banks that would work but they are sealed units. I generally like to keep a spare set of cells on me or in the charger so I do not have to wait for power banks to recharge. I could use two boxes one per headlamp but than i need to purchase two extra sets of cells and another charger :p

Last edited: