another cheap host done: Wolflight

chrisse242

Enlightened
As announced in the good cheap modding hosts-thread, I started to work on the wolflight. It's a three aaa, three led light with tailcap switch (non-momentary, light comes on after releasing switch) available on ebay. It's easy to remove all the parts in the head of the stock light.
It's now a luxIII sv1j direct driven of three nimh's.
I used a spare reflector I had from my first mod of the Walther tactical light and an endcap used for copper-tubes.
Here you can see the cap with luxeon star and reflector inserted:
wolflight2.jpg

I used zalman thermal epoxy (available on ebay germany and computer stores) this time. It's cheaper than the arctic products and time will tell if it's good enough.

I drilled two holes through the bottom of the copper cap to allow the led's wires to go through them. Soldered the positive wire to a nails head wich I taped to the cap, the other one makes contact with the lights head.
woflight1.jpg

I'm using the three aaa holder I found in another light because I broke the one that came with this light. So probably it would better to use a different way to provide contact of the stock battery-holder and positive led-wire. This is not a professional work anyway and I bet there are better ways to do it but it works for me.

Here you can see my two mods side by side. I like the smaller wolflight most because it's
- smaller
- uses rechargeables instead of cr123's

wolflight3.jpg

Beam patterns of both lights are simmilar as they use the same reflector, so I won't do another beamshot, but it would look like this one:

mod.jpg

And finally my selfmade kydex-holster with the light in it:
wolflightkydex.jpg

I have no clue about runtime because I'm a bit worried about heatsinking, so I don't dare using it much longer than five minutes.

I would to love hear about other (better) ideas for mods on this light.

Chrisse

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Nice mod Chrisse! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Damn, you beat me to it! Is that light this one? It sure does look like it. I bought two of them last week for modding purposes but haven't recieved them yet (coming from Hong Kong). I like the fact that it had a clikie and not a momentary push ON/Twist ON. It is a clickie right? No momentary though??

I let you know if I get any better ideas on it. I'll post here what I come up with, that is if it's ok with you??

chrisse242

Enlightened
Yes that's what I wanted this thread to be, all mods on one host in just one thread. Your light looks a little bit different, mine only had three led's, came without a pouch and the rubber on the tailcap is a bit different too.
Yes it's a clikie and there is a kind of momentary-mode actually. When you slightly press the switch in on-mode, the light goes off instantly. Release it, and it comes back on.
I would buy some more to mod and give away as presents, if I had any reflectors from the walther light left.

Chrisse

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Chrisse, thanks for the link. Is Wolflight considered a cheap brand over there? It sounds kinda familiar but I don't think I've really heard about. I'm not sure if that light is available in the States, is it? I haven't been paying attention to what's sold in stores these days.

Anyways what I'm getting at is maybe the lights I bought from e-bay is a copy of the Wolflight unless the Wolflight is a copy of another light that's out there? Lights on e-bay are usually copies of some light that's already on the market.

When I recieve them, I will post a picture of it in exploded view before modding it so that you may see how similar or not are our lights. I'm curious.

Thanks

chrisse242

Enlightened
darkzero, wolflight is not considered a brand at all, I think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I've not seen it anywhere else in germany but on ebay. There was at least one thread about this on cpf some weeks ago and I think it's available in the states. Right now I'm facing some problems with the switch, it seems to fail sometimes. Anyway, this light was more than cheap so I could afford buying another one to have a spare switch. I'm very curious about what you are to come up with.

Chrisse

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Chrisse, I just recieved my light and after some observations I'm convinced that my light from ebay is a clone of your Wolflight (or whatever the original might be). I believe it's a clone of the Wolflight because IMO mine looks a bit "cheaper" (but barely) than the Wolflight although you say Wolflight is a cheapy too.

I don't know how your switch assy looks like nor the stock LED assy so I took pictures of mine so you can compare the differences. The eight LEDs in mine are direct driven. Does your three have resistance?

The only big differences I could see aside the eight LEDs instead of three, are the holes in the tailcap for the lanyard. Mine is click ON/OFF and momentary OFF like yours and also uses 3 AAA. In your picture I'm assuming the o-ring was placed there by you to fill in the gap after the mod.

I will post pics of mine after modding but it will be a little while. I have many mods I must complete and send out first. I would like to regulate it but with the little room in the head it looks like a reflector instead of optic will be the way to go and direct drive the Luxeon. I'll see what simple configurations I can come up with.

wlc_front.jpg

wlc_rear.jpg

wlc_side.jpg

wlc_exploded.jpg

chrisse242

Enlightened
Well, the switch-assy on mine is a little different, as is the led-assy (the principle behind is the same, anyway). The battery holder seems to be exactly the same as in my light. As far as I can see the diameter of the body in your picture seems a bit bigger than my one.
Yes, I added some o-rings to achieve additional length, now they are removed as I changed the setup a little. I cannot imagine how to put a converter in there. I wouldn't even try it, as my sv1j on 800mah nimh served me from last Sunday untill yesterday evening. I then let it run for about an hour (intermitted) and it dimmed noticeably after about 45min. I didn't notice any dimming before, so I think there are about 2.5 hours of very usefull light from this. One could perhaps put a small resistor in there to run it of alkalines but as I use this for edc I wouldn't want to buy new cells every week.
I'm sorry but I threw away the stock leds so I can't take picture. But my girlfriend fell in love with this light so I guess I will have to make another one. I'm going to take pictures then.

Chrisse

chrisse242

Enlightened
Well darkzero, guess I beat you again./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif
I just finished the second one for my girlfriend. Pics will follow later, I'm going to sleep now but I can already tell you there will be pics of the stock condition (it's not much different from your light) and beamshots of the stock light (o.k. there is no "beam" at all) and both of my mods. (sv1j/ walther tactical light reflector/dd nimh --- svok/ modded minimag reflector / dd alkaline)

Chrisse

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
chrisse242 said:
Well darkzero, guess I beat you again./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif beat me again.

Sorry, I've been meaning to work on these (I've got two of them now) but I've been real busy with these (40 pcs to make). And after those are done I must start working on these (71 pcs requested) so I've got my hands tied for quite sometime. I really didn't expect that many requests so this will set the Wolflight clone mod back for a while.

I've got this thread saved in my favorites and I'll still post when I'm done. It'll probably be old news then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

chrisse242

Enlightened
O.k. long time ago I promised to post some pics.
Inside the head:
wolf2.jpg

Stock beam:
wolf6.jpg

Stock LEDs:
wolf1.jpg

With modded minimag reflector:
wolf5.jpg

with modded "walther tactical light" reflector:
wolf4.jpg