18650 Battery & Charge for Armytek Wizard Pro headlamp & Armytek Preditor flashlight

Terv

Newly Enlightened
18650 Battery & Charge for Armytek Wizard Pro headlamp & Armytek Preditor flashlight

Hello,

I am liking and considering 1-2 each of the Armytek Wizard Pro v3 USB XHP50 (warm) headlamps and 1 of the Armytek Predator Pro v3 XHP35 HI (warm) flashlights.

I need lots of light for my wife hiking in dim or dark conditions. And I am hoping the warm light is easier on her. I realize there is some lumen loss from white to warm but I also recognize lumen increases are not linear with respect to brightness and visibility.

The Wizard Pro v3 USB XHP50 (warm) ships with an 18650 3200 mAh unprotected battery. Armytek recommends the unprotected battery as more efficient for large current consumption.

However, Armytek only sells protected batteries. And the above excerpt from their Manual clearly states protected batteries can be used if they guarantee 7A discharge.

D188C3B2-E7A9-49D4-A412-AD3ACBFBBD46@hitronhub.home

The 18650 Li-ion 3400mAh is a Panasonic battery made in Japan. I am thinking more mah is better.

I am also thinking about charging and it seems the protected batteries are safer to charge.

QUESTION: Assuming Panasonic 18650 batteries, which should I use: Protected or Un-protected?

The Xtar VP2 is recommended in CandlePowerForums. I own a Maha C9000 for my Eneloop batteries. If 'analysis' adds some safety to charging, I am open to a charger with analysis.

I read a review of the Armytek Uni-C2 charger in CandlePowerF
orum. This has given me pause to consider another charger.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?444311-Test-review-of-Charger-Armytek-Uni-C2

C2B132A2-B506-4175-AD79-C7037C1CF9C6@hitronhub.home

QUESTION: Whose make and model of charger should I purchase for efficiency and safety: Xtar? Other brand recommendation?

Thank you.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 18650 Battery & Charge for Armytek Wizard Pro headlamp & Armytek Preditor flashli

I would recommend against Panasonic 3400mah batteries. They have low voltage under load and all the extra capacity is in the voltage range below where you been it to maintain high output. I'd recommend Samsung 30q cells

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 18650 Battery & Charge for Armytek Wizard Pro headlamp & Armytek Preditor flashli

+1. Samsung 30Q or Sony VTC6 for high-drain, or Sanyo/Panasonic GA if you want a bit more capacity but don't need really high drain. Those older Panasonic 3400mAh cells your likely talking about are out-of-date for today's powerful lights.

As for a charger, really anything will do. They all use the CC/CV algorithm, and all do a good job. A $5 micro-USB charger is just as good as a $100 fancy charger. You just get faster charges and some bells and whistles on the expensive chargers. If you don't do capacity testing, you don't need it.

Terv

Newly Enlightened

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. (I am in Northwestern Ontario)

My wife experiences vasovagal syncope when we hike from daylight into darkness. It is something we try to avoid but when you are outdoors, sometimes things do not go your way and you have to deal with it. And it seems light mitigates the onset or effects. Thus, getting the right headlamps and flashlight is a safety issue. I want to get this right.

Given the turbo modes I believe high drain is required: OUTPUT LEVELS AND RUNTIMES: Turbo2 = 1675 (1h), Turbo1 = 840lm (1h40min), 390lm (4h), 150lm (10,5h), 28lm (50h), 5lm (12d), 1,4lm (40d), 0,14lm (200d), Strobe3, Strobe2, Strobe1

+1. Samsung 30Q or Sony VTC6 for high-drain, or Sanyo/Panasonic GA if you want a bit more capacity but don't need really high drain. Those older Panasonic 3400mAh cells your likely talking about are out-of-date for today's powerful lights.

Using a 3000 mAh battery instead of a 3400 mAh simply means I will pack additional spare batteries.

The Armytek specification states: "BATTERY OVER-DISCHARGE PROTECTION CIRCUIT FOR UNPROTECTED BATTERIES USING". It seems the battery will be protected in the headlamp. It seems the Samsung 30Q is an unprotected battery.

QUESTION: Is it safer to charge a protected battery or an un-protected battery? Or is there protection built into the charger which makes my question essentially moot?

As for a charger, really anything will do. They all use the CC/CV algorithm, and all do a good job. A $5 micro-USB charger is just as good as a $100 fancy charger. You just get faster charges and some bells and whistles on the expensive chargers. If you don't do capacity testing, you don't need it.

For my Eneloop batteries I use a Maha C-9000 charger.

QUESTION: Based on several reviews I am leaning toward the Liitokala Engineer Lii-500. The other chargers I was considering the Xtar VP2, the Xtar Dragon and the Opus BT-C3000. I think the SKYRC MC 3000 is more than I need. Going with four (4) slots gives me some future charging capacity needs. Your thougths on my choice?

Again, thank you for replying.

Terv

Newly Enlightened

This is from Armytek's web page and it is the model I was talking about. It is identified as "Armytek 18650 Li-ion 3400 mAh. Rechargeable. Protected".

Made in Japan high-grade ICs (Seiko). They are notable for low power requirement and high reliability. It means you get more advanced device performance.

Possibility to work even under heavy loading. You will appreciate high battery discharge rate – up to 7.5 Amperes. We use quadruple brand MOSFET's! You can use them in various extreme situations and severe conditions. Batteries won't let you down even if you give up.

The best chemistry in the world – Panasonic 3400mAh (Japan). 12, 5 Wh battery.

Triple protection against short, over-discharge, over-charge. You get the power supply, which is totally protected from any damage and enjoy its maximal performance and improved voltage stability. Certainly you won't face battery failure.

304 Stainless steel plate reinforced bottom. This unique structural design provides better impact-resistance.

Safety vent with thermal cut-off protection. You get reliable protection of your device from overheating.

QUESTION: Will the Samsung 30Q 3000 mAh perform better than the Panasonic 3400 mAh in the Armytek Wizard Pro3 Magnet USB XHP50 (warm) + 18650 Li-ion headlamp[FONT=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]?

Thank you.
[/FONT]

HKJ

Flashaholic

QUESTION: Based on several reviews I am leaning toward the Liitokala Engineer Lii-500. The other chargers I was considering the Xtar VP2, the Xtar Dragon and the Opus BT-C3000. I think the SKYRC MC 3000 is more than I need. Going with four (4) slots gives me some future charging capacity needs. Your thougths on my choice?

In our initial question you did not specify an analyzing charger as an absolute requirement. If you want analyzing the Lii500 is a good charger, but if your just want a charger there are many more models to select from. Four slots is nice if you have a light that needs 3 or 4 batteries but do not really give any advantages for lights that uses 1 or 2 batteries. There is also the point about some charger needing double time for four batteries compared to two batteries.
I will not recommend a specific charger, but you can check my list for suitable chargers: https://lygte-info.dk/info/roundCellChargerIndex UK.html but always read my conclusion before deciding on a charger (You may not use the same criterion as I do).

Terv

Newly Enlightened

In our initial question you did not specify an analyzing charger as an absolute requirement. If you want analyzing the Lii500 is a good charger, but if your just want a charger there are many more models to select from. Four slots is nice if you have a light that needs 3 or 4 batteries but do not really give any advantages for lights that uses 1 or 2 batteries. There is also the point about some charger needing double time for four batteries compared to two batteries.
I will not recommend a specific charger, but you can check my list for suitable chargers: https://lygte-info.dk/info/roundCellChargerIndex UK.html but always read my conclusion before deciding on a charger (You may not use the same criterion as I do).

Thank you very much for the reply.

I reviewed again your reviews. You raised good points and I have reconsidered. The Xtar VP2 is my choice given your review, what and how this charger will be used.

Again, thank you.