Tax Software ?

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last year was the first time that I used a software tax program. I had read that Turbo Tax had spyware inbedded it it, and so used the free version of TaxAct. This year I used the Deluxe verson of TaxAct.
I have found it to be perfectly satisfactory and less expensive than the other programs.

However, not having used anything else, I am not very knowledgeable in that area. My taxes are relatively simple.
I do note that the magazines like PC rate the TaxAct last.

Anyone here with experience as to what is the best program or just want to make a comment as to how well they are pleased or displeased with their tax program?
Just getting ready for next year.

I might note that TaxAct saved me almost $400 by determining the best way to figure my tax, and I was not aware of the method it used.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Longtime Turbotax user, extremely satisfied.

I had used a VERY reputable tax accountant for years, the last year I used him I compared it to Turbotax and Turbo tax actually got me back about 400 dollars he hadn't. He admitted that with the new, instant upgrades to tax clarifications issued by the IRS and the softwares ability to integrate it that the days of tax accountants for honest people were numbered.

As far as the spyware, so many people and spyware checkers are out there that I doubt anything significant is getting through.

Bill

Harrkev

Enlightened
I also love TaxAct. It is just as good as the "other guys," but it is half of the price, and you do not need to go to stores. There are also no rebates to worry about. $10 for the software, and one free filing.

Other guys charge $30 or so, and then fill out paperwork to get $20 back! What a pain!

Download from home, file from home. No need to leave my chair. Nothing simpler.

I should note that I live in a state without income tax, so I know nothing about state software.