Which NiMh batteries to order

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need some NiMh batteries with a capacity of 8000mAh or 9000mAh. They should be capable to deliver 3-4 A. Which brand/type should I order?

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the NiMH D cells should do it. There are several sources. cheapbatteries.com and ccrane.com for instance. I believe both these places sell generic ones with no brand name on the label. Actually most of the batteries I have are generics, and they all work.

Let's face it. Unless you have a device that actually measures the capacity of a cell, you'll never know the difference between brands. If you do have such a device, you're probably the only one here that does, so we're all full of BS on that subject.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
NiMH D cells are more problematical than AA cells. They take much longer to charge and buying a spare set is expensive. You may want to keep a set of alkalines around to use when the NiMH are charging, until you're ready to buy a second set.

Then there's the question of what charger to use.

RussH

Enlightened
I bought the cheap NiMH D cells @9000mah from Amondotech.com along with a Vanson charger (look for a package deal that you like). I'm still on the original charge with the D's, but I've cycled a number of Cs (4500mah) several times & I'm happy enough with the performance of the batteries & charger. In general, most of the ones for sale at a reasonable price are made in China so I wouldn't expect much difference.
You will have a pretty good voltage drop (10-15%, WAGuess) with 3-4 amp draw. How much would that matter in your application? Ginsing did some experiments with his Magcharger with a bulb drawing close to 4 amps & decided to go with some more expensive high discharge rated batteries. He was selling those battery packs. You should do a search for those, I'm sure there's a lot more info already posted in regard to your question......... RussH

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for batteries that can handle a high current rate (3 to 4 A) with minimum voltage drop because I want to use them for a regulated tri-luxIII flashlight (3x DB????).