Brinkmann Rebel

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to my local WalMart to buy the LX to no avail. But lo and behold, there was a Rebel. Looks like a smaller LX. It's a keeper. Bright. Good color. Tight beam. Reflector has a smooth finish on the concave surface and a pebbled finish on the coller.
smile.gif
One small flaw that mine has is two small shadow lines show up in the beam. I cleaned the lens, reflector and bulb but it's still there.
shocked.gif
The blister pack comes with batteries(Energizer alkaline AA), Belt clip(horizontal
frown.gif
), Three snap on filers(blue, orange and red
smile.gif
. I'm very hard to please but this one I like.
smile.gif
Oh, the cost was $7.94
smile.gif

.......Dana.....

D

**DONOTDELETE**

phred,
Is that unit an LED or incandescent torch. You say it is smaller than the LX?

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
KT -

That's the LED model - I think it'll be larger than the LX (at least in length). BTW, did you receive my e-mail regarding the LX?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quickbeam:
KT -

That's the LED model - I think it'll be larger than the LX (at least in length). BTW, did you receive my e-mail regarding the LX?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought so about the Rebel.
Yes, I received your e-message.

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
two shadow lines??? Could that be the wire contacts in the LED?
smile.gif

Look inside the LED (When it's switched off!!
smile.gif
) and you will see two little wires going to the die. If the Rebel has a focusing lens, it can focus an image of the die, including the two wires, on to the surface being illuminated.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Oh, the cost was $7.94 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I want to know how everyone gets such good prices on these LED lights at wal-mart - they're 15.00 at my Wal-Mart! This is the second time I've heard of the LED lights being half the price somewhere else!

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
WallyWorld prices. I is in Allybama. If'n you charge to much, nobody by's. As to the size.

Length.....6.75
Head Dia...1.5
Body Dia...1.0

Size is in inches.
BTW, I forgot to add that there is a triangle thingie on the head for attaching(to a hook or lanyard?)

....Dana....

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phred:
One small flaw that mine has is two small shadow lines show up in the beam. I cleaned the lens, reflector and bulb but it's still there<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

brink9.jpg

You mean like this?

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stingmon. Yes. Exactly the same. BTW, I'm putting together a package that I will post to you for review.
smile.gif

Harrkev

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phred:
Stingmon. Yes. Exactly the same<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those are the bond wires that carry the current to the semiconductor inside.

BTW: Can anybody tell me why white LEDs have TWO wires????

Old-fashioned red LEDs have one wire going to the top of the die, and the other connection is through the substrate to the reflector cup. Why don't white LEDs do the same thing?

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Old-fashioned red LEDs have one wire going to the top of the die, and the other connection is through the substrate to the reflector cup. Why don't white LEDs do the same thing?

Because white LEDs are made on a substrate of artificial sapphire- an insulating material. The n-type and p-type stuff that ultimately makes it glow, is slopped all over top of that, and so needs a negative and positive connection- as it`s insulated from the bottom of the die-cup by the sapphire bit.

Not that scientific but sort-of to the point for a change? Craig, let me know if I got it wrong please
grin.gif

rolleyes.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Stingmon. Yes. Exactly the same. BTW, I'm putting together a package that I will post to you for review.
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool, thanks!!
I'll keep an eye on the mailbox for it.
grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Harrkev:
BTW: Can anybody tell me why white LEDs have TWO wires????

Old-fashioned red LEDs have one wire going to the top of the die,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The answer is that "regular" LEDs like red and yellow are made from a chip of junk like gallium arsenide phosphide, which conducts electricity. So when they make the LED, the reflective silver cup makes up one of the two connections; the current flows through this chip and out the thin wire on top.

White LEDs - which are really just blue LEDs in sheep's clothing - are made using a chip of artificial sapphire, which is an insulator. So they have to be made differently. The active material of the LED is actually just a thin layer of chemicals on top of this slab of sapphire. One wire goes to the top layer of this (much like the wire in a red LED does) and is usually placed at one corner, and the other wire goes to the opposite corner that is stripped of everything except a conducting layer a few tens of atoms thick.

But since the whole LED ( a *very thin* critter!) is built on top of this insulating sapphire chip, the "bottom" in this case is still on the top of the sapphire chip.

Maybe this crude, admittedly quickly thrown-together graphic will help.

guts2.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wonderin'.... can anyone post a pic of this light? I can't find it on the Brinkmann website or Walmart's. Also, how many batteries does it use, what kind, and how many LEDs? Thanks! For $8-15 it seems like a light that can keep me busy before the release of the ArcLS.
smile.gif

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the Rebel in a CT Wallyworld the other day. About $15 (I think). I passed it up, figuring it was just a Brinkman Longlife in new clothes. Personally, I like the form factor of the Longlife better. They have similar heads, but he Longlife is shorter while the Rebel has a more narrow body. I think the Longlife with its stouter body fits better in my long fingered hand.

Also saw a new light called the Vistalight. Long narrow thing with an incandescent at one end and an LED at the other. Both bulbs operated by a single switch.