Help, looking for single D cell and C cell Lights

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anyone could, I would like to know a source for Single cell D and C cell lights.

If more than one light exist that fits this criteria that would be great as it would give me a choice.

Please help, thanks.

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonSidneyB:
I am not trying to do a mod. I'm trying to find something that I can use up loose batteries with. It seems that I have many items that use three D-Cells but I buy batteries in units of four. I have a number of single batteries of varing age and strength. I do not want to mix batteries so I am looking for items to use up single loose batteries. Someone did post a link to a site that had a single D-cell light but it was in Australia and I could not figure out how to purchase. Also, I know everyone is interested in bright lights, I have bright lights, sometimes the brightest is not always needed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It may seem like a mod, but it's very little modification. If you get one of the Dorcy stubby flashlights that use the 4AA carrier, you can replace the carrier with a single D battery. Replace the bulb with a Versalux 2cell LED PR bulb available from http://www.techass.com . The bulb will still light, although not quite as bright as with two cells. It would make an excellent night light shining onto the ceiling, and would drain your loose D cells.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might try this... on the other hand, Im wondering if this light body is suitable for the Arc treatment. A step up with a Luxon Star.

Bmccue1964

Newly Enlightened
If you had access to a set of taps/dies, you could cut down an old Mag (if you could ever find an "old" Mag), then thread the end on.

Use an appropriate bulb.

Later Experiment...
You could then try getting one of those aforementioned "AA"x4 cell holders (if it would fit) and replace the single "D" with the 4x"AA" 6 volt source. Then put in a Krypton bulb.

Cooooool!

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only single cells I think of are the strobes: Not sure you would need this though.

410263.jpg

Beacon flashes 60-70 times per minute for up to 16 hours when first turned on, then continues at a diminished rate for up to 40 hours.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
you could also do the cool blue thing, but use the night pearl 1-cell version LED bulb instead of the versalux 2-cell bulb.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ColdLight:
you could also do the cool blue thing, but use the night pearl 1-cell version LED bulb instead of the versalux 2-cell bulb.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's just great, but can aanyybbooody assist in getting some of the night pearl 1-cell LEDs??

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ColdLight:
you could also do the cool blue thing, but use the night pearl 1-cell version LED bulb instead of the versalux 2-cell bulb.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've heard, but not officially, that the Night Pearl is good down to .9 volts. The Versalux is good down to .7 volts. If your going to kill a battery, you might as well make it a clean kill.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
JonSidneyB, you don't say, but is it your intention to mod the one cell flashlight with DC/DC converter?

I don't think anybody makes 1 cell lights, but you could use the 4AA cell Target (GreatLand) rubber flashlight - rip out the plastic guts for the AA cells, and a single D cell fits.........

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not trying to do a mod. I'm trying to find something that I can use up loose batteries with. It seems that I have many items that use three D-Cells but I buy batteries in units of four. I have a number of single batteries of varing age and strength. I do not want to mix batteries so I am looking for items to use up single loose batteries. Someone did post a link to a site that had a single D-cell light but it was in Australia and I could not figure out how to purchase. Also, I know everyone is interested in bright lights, I have bright lights, sometimes the brightest is not always needed.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there any mod people out here willing to take on a project. A Metal bodied Dorcy or some other suitable body, a proper step up regulater, and a white LuxonStar running on a single D-cell

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
JonSidneyB,

I like the idea of a one cell flashlight, to use up the partially used batteries. I have the same problem. I have a lot of partially used 'D' cells, in particular.

For the 'C' or 'D' cells, a dummy could be made with a step up regulator. I already have such dummies. (Haha !) This could be put in a 2 'D' cell flashlight, with one of the partially used 'D' cells. Unfortunately, the typical halogen bulb draws way to much current for this application. Perhaps a very low power incandesent bulb (used in small AA flashlights), for a very cheap retro, or perhaps modifying the flashlight to use 5 or so LED's. Because of the weak battery source, it would be best to not use too many LED's.

Depending on the energy level of the battery, a Luxeon Star might be able to be used? You might get more life from 5 LED's, because these only draw 100mA, as opposed to the 350mA the Luxeon would use. At 100mA, the Luxeon is not very bright.

A 2 'D' cell MAG, or the Rayovac 2 'D' cell flahslights would work. Perhaps there are others. (I like the Rayovac Industrial flashlight, because it it very easy to modify, with a separation between the batteries and the light housing.)

I can make you a dummy 'C' or 'D' size regulator if you like (variable output), or I can do the whole mod for you,and mail it to you.

Wayne

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
JonSidneyB: Sorry for entering the discussion so late. I might have been the guy from Australia that you mentioned. The item I mentioned is from **** Smith Electronics (www.dse.com.au) and has the cat.no. K3019.

It is actually a DIY kit. At the heart of it is a DC-DC converter that uses an SMD chip to control it. I need to look for it again and check out which chip it uses. But it can use any 1.5V input.

If you are really desperate for a 1.5V flashlight, and have some skill with a soldering iron, there are many circuits available to boost 1.5V to voltages suitable to power an LED.

You could also try the K3018 kit which uses only discrete components you can buy off the shelf (instead of winding your own coils or using SMDs), or do a search on this forum for SatCure circuit, which is probably the simplest circuit available for this purpose.

KenBar

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cave dave:
The only single cells I think of are the strobes: Not sure you would need this though.

410263.jpg

Beacon flashes 60-70 times per minute for up to 16 hours when first turned on, then continues at a diminished rate for up to 40 hours.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I opened up the guts of this light...tossed them.... and put in a satcure circuit. The 3 brass tabs that hold the globe on bend easily and the "guts" come out with a little coaxing. The nice thing is it all goes back together nicely and is quite finished looking. You can put a small cable tie in the base of it and hang it from a tent etc. I never bother to cut mine off as the thing runs months on a battery run down to 1.2 volts.

Originally I used a LS but there was not enough room and I had to cobble it up to use a C cell. I also wanted somthing to drain D cells.

I too use this to drain down my D cells that are left over from other uses.

I also use a Versalux to drain down the 4 D cells in my CCradio.

Back to the strobe light...it holds a satcure circuit very easily. I bet Gadget would take it on if he is not rushed??

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonSidneyB:
If anyone could, I would like to know a source for Single cell D and C cell lights.

If more than one light exist that fits this criteria that would be great as it would give me a choice.

Please help, thanks.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Jon,

This is Wayne Johnson, I've changed my displayed name to ElektroLumens. I now have a web page, on it is a project I'm beginning in response to your question here. It will be a 2 'D' cell flashlight mod, using a step up regulator and a Luxeon Star. I figure a Luxeon is a better choice than multiple LED's. I will adding photos and comments as I proceed on this project. My web page is:

ElektroLumens.com