DPSS Yellow laser pointers

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
They state a wavelength of 560nm, which I would call yellow-green. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif Wavelengths of up to 575nm are still yellow-green. But I don't have that kind of money, so I guess I won't get to see for myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

badhorsey

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm. They've included badly photoshopped images of a leadlight and another green pointer, so they evidently don't have an idea of what the units look like. I'd hold off until they post pictures of the actual beam - 560nm is still going to be fairly greenish, and not at all like the "beam" they've drawn on their site.

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
They show a pic of a leadlight and laserphaser's LP-115. The site looks like a 10 year old threw it together. I smell a scam. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
560nm is not represented on that website. There is 546nm (a lime green color) then 605nm (an amberish orange color).
Wavelengths of around 580nm to 585nm would be what I'd term as non-greenish, non-amberish yellow.
Many viewers would term this as "lemon yellow".

comozo

Enlightened
I checked out cnilaser.com website I certain that is where laserglow.com is getting them, product codes are the same.Actually the color of green pointers is chartreuse and the new so called yellow pointers are a more yellow version of chartreuse . CNI also has diodes that lase at 501nm, 556nm etc. Here are two sites that will give an idea of the color.
www.spectra-couleur.com
http://home.ncifcrf.gov/ccr/flowcore/projects.htm

paulr

Flashaholic
DPSS means the frequency doubling scheme used in green laser pointers? What's so hard about making a yellow pointer that way? It just means that the underlying emitter is deeper into the infrared than the one for green lasers. I thought infrared wasn't a big deal and the difficult thing was getting higher frequencies, not lower ones.

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
We didn't say it was hard, we only said he pictured crappy photoshopped lasers with a beam that looks nothing like what it actualy would. Or what the actual laser would look like for that matter.

comozo

Enlightened
Well they do have higher frequency diodes green-blue-violet, but not anything from 531nm-634nm. It may be that it was techniclly more difficult or just plain economics until now, I don't know. So, as you can see that has changed recently. Also there appears to be less than a handful of companies producing diodes in the mid-range frequencies.
A side note there is an orange diode laser[orange disk laser] here is the link http://optics.org/articles/news/10/1/7/1

Canuke

Enlightened
I'm curious to know what their source is for 590nm.

Craig, I notice that 532nm isn't on that site either. I suspect that the fiber market uses different parts or something...

kakcoo

Newly Enlightened
I don't get it. They are not as powerfull as Atlasnovas pointers, the eye is less sensetive for yellow, they are overpriced and worst of all you may not get anything at all cuz this smels fake bigtime.

A

aaatom

Yellow and grren pointers are fascinaating. I would really like ot get myhands on some at deep discounts

(Link deleted by The_LED_Museum because an advertisement for wrinkle medication is not appropriate on CPF.)

SkylineSelect

Newly Enlightened
These laser pointers are really available. I am stocking them on my website. (www.skylineselect.co.uk). When I receive my first shipment in September, I will post pics for everyone. I think 593.5nm will be very bright, and ture yellow.

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
I'm sure we could open them up and turn the pot up a little to get 10mw or so...Then stick some AA on the diode and board it before putting it back in for better thermal dissipation.

SkylineSelect

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
hungryforlasers said:
Some day I want to get a laser at the peak eye sensitivity at 555nm.

[/ QUOTE ]
555nm as opposed to 532nm will only show 25% brighter (assuming all other things are kept constant). This is a very small amount and is not noticeable. It it the colour that is more interesting.

Tech info:

The pointers use sum frequency mixing principle to combine two wavelengths two produce emission in the yellow part of the spectrum. They consist of a laser diode emitting at 830nm an Nd:YAG rod which generates 1064nm and 1342nm to create 593.5nm emission and then there is the active feedback to consider.

Sam G:
Probably not quite right but it's the thought that counts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I expect it's really Nd:YVO4 (vanadate), not YAG, and the diode is at 808 nm, not 830 nm. The sum of the frequencies for 1064 nm and 1342 nm does indeed
correspond to 593.5 nm. So, they have the laser running simultaneously at the two wavelengths and use a non-linear crystal (probably could be KTP) phase matched to do the summing. Cute how the physics works out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I really should build one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I've been offered a UK version of the yellow laser pointer for evaluation purposes. It supposedly outputs <1mW at 593.5nm, to comply with UK regulations, so it won't be of any contest to any of my green laser pointers, except for maybe the pulsed one (a GLP-4 that outputs ~1.6 milliwatts).

Since it's coming from the UK, and is expected to be there in about 1 month, figure late September at the earliest for me to receive one. When I do receive it, it'll almost certainly receive its own web page, which I'll post the URL to in this thread.

(Edit 8:36pm PDT)
Yes, it will be receiving its own web page.
I've actually gotten it started, but of course, not yet published. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Some of the text on the page will go something like this:

Yellow beam lasers in pointer format have not existed - until now, anyway.
This is a yellow beam laser pointer, emitting just under 1 milliwatt of laser radiation at 593.5nm; just a hair longer in wavelength than the sodium line at 589.2nm.

It uses a mechanism similar to that used by green laser pointers: an infrared laser diode is fired into a crystal of material that lases at a longer wavelength in the infrared, who's light is then fired into a frequency-doubling crystal, producing the yellow laser beam you see.
This is known as DPSS (Diode Pumped Solid State).

The output power level is this low (less than 1mW) so the laser complies with UK (United Kingdom) regulations regarding laser pointers available to the general public in that country.
This laser pointer is CDRH Class II.

LASERSforLIFE

Newly Enlightened
You know the people from Laserglow.com are selling the yellow laser pointer on Ebay already...supposedly real pics also, you should check it out