Surefire Vs Streamlight

IlikeLEDs

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Just wondering about people's thoughts on a surefier G2/6p/6z etc compared to a Streamlight scrpion. I'ld like to hear from people who have had both, or own both and some thoughts on light output (which is stronger) batt life, (which last longer, because i've got a g2 and thats probably an hours tops) and which is more tactical? (especially in the field ops, and your opinions which is more waterproof? ( my g2 shorted out for about 10mins because i had to run through a river and it was probably in about a meter of water for about 2-3mins during a escape and evasion maneuvour).Thanks

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings, Ilike, and welcome to the site.

Having, both, the Scorpion and G2, I can tell you that they are close in performance. They share similar run time, and output. I like the Nitrolon body of the G2 and the rubber on the Scorp - big help, huh? The G2 seems like it should be more water resistant. I prefer the clicky switch and spare lamp in the Scorp, but the G2 has a slightly better beam and can use the P61 hight output lamp (with limited runtime). Both lights are good variations of the 2 x 123/xenon theme.

What did you mean by your G2 shorted out? Did it fill with water and stop working?

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had both, gave the wife the Scorp. for in the car. The G2 is a bit lighter in weight. Got my hands on a G2Z bezel, some PILA batteries and lamps and have never looked back.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a G2Z which I loved. One difference between G2Z and G2 is that the G2Z has a lock-out tail cap (LOTC) which locks out the light when you don't intend to use it, and to a certain extend it improves the watertight integrity. Secondly, the G2Z uses Pyrex lens instead of Lexan for higher heat integrity. The Lexan lens on a G2 would melt or bubble if the light is turned on accidentally in your pocket or bag. The last difference is that the G2Z has a rubber ring for combat grip when using the Rogers stance.

I recently went for my army reservist training and I had along with me my G2Z. We did urban warfare, and section movements crawling through water filled tunnels and mud. And because I had mud all over my body I went for a dip in the stream after that without taking off my jungle fatique and guess what? My G2Z got soaked too without me realizing it. In fact, the G2Z survived through the whole ordeal.

One of the reason I chose the G2Z among all my other aluminium Surefire is that the G2Z is made of Nitrolon and would maintain better aesthetic qualities. I would not want my aluminium flashlights to get scratched all over by the soil and mud such training would provide.

If you already have the G2, hold onto it as all you need is to purchase a G2Z bezel and LOTC and you are there.

I used to own a Scorpion too and although I am happy with the light I am sick of the fact that the bulb gets black after about 5 battery changes. I sold the Scorpion after that.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jayflash said:
Greetings, Ilike, and welcome to the site.

Having, both, the Scorpion and G2, I can tell you that they are close in performance. They share similar run time, and output. I like the Nitrolon body of the G2 and the rubber on the Scorp - big help, huh? The G2 seems like it should be more water resistant. I prefer the clicky switch and spare lamp in the Scorp, but the G2 has a slightly better beam and can use the P61 hight output lamp (with limited runtime). Both lights are good variations of the 2 x 123/xenon theme.

[/ QUOTE ]Good post. The only thing I would add is Surefire lamps have had issues with being fragile and are exspensive. Streamlight's lamps are far more durable and alot cheaper.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Strange, the only thing I would add is Streamlight lamps have ongoing issues with being shortlived and sometimes falling out of their sockets into their reflections. SureFire lamps are far more durable and fixed focused.

Whilst I don't own a Scorpion, I've seen that it is not water resistant in the slightest. The G2 is more water resistant but, I would not take it underwater either.

For E&E, I'd have carried the Underwater Kinetics UKE-2L. It's a polymer divelight with a longer runtime then most other two SF123A lights. It's also one of the shortest and light-weight, and I believe you can get LED "lamps" for it too.

Al

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Al the scorpion is quite water resistant. I remembered playing with it in very heavy rainfall and it survived pretty well although I have not done the dip test. Whatever it is, I still prefer the form factor of Surefire.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
my streamlight scorp is on and in my pool
under 12 feet of water right now

I have 3 scorpions between them about 20 batterys have been burned up
no bulb failures yet.
the spare bulb gives me a backup bulb in the light
advantage scorpion
from what I have read on cpf surefire bulbs are no better than scorpion bulbs

scorpion bulbs are better they cost 4 bucks vs 15 ouch

some one gave me a e2e it is pretty kool but I would not have bought one I hope the bulb lasts

I would throw it in the pool but it might get scrached or blow the bulb.
now how do I get the flashlight back with out getting wet.

it is still on

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's pretty interesting: look at the bulb used for the E2 series and compare it to a Scorpion/TL-2 bulb. They're the same (except for the Surefire mount).

--dan

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sure wouldn't trust my Scorp under water. The head to body fit isn't waterproof. Sure it'll resist a downpour but it's not made for submersion. Packing a load of grease on the threads may help to keep out water but it may become messy.

IMHO, the G2 and Scorpion are, both, great lights - well thought out and well made.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Dano, they may look the same but I was under the impression that people consider the Scorpion/TL-2 to be brighter than the P60 and therefore, brighter than the MN03 E2e lamp.
If this is the case then there must be more to bulb design than looks (more than meets the eye)...

Unrelated perhaps, but the bulbs that feature "tips" I thought had higher pressure than those without?

Al

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
you may be right I did not get it out of the pool last night.

the net just pushed it around
I did not want to scratch the hell out of it
It is greased pretty well

the batteries had a half hour on them so I did not care.
I thought it had an o ring I will look ar the one in my car.
I am sure it will clean up just fine if it is wet inside

I bet the reflector will be hard or impossible to clean

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point. They make LOOK the same, but may have slightly different characteristics (I found wattage/amp measurements I did some time back to see what the numbers were: Amp/Watt measurements ).

--dan

Boris

Newly Enlightened
Is the TL-2 the same as the scorpion? i mean, about water resistance? or are they improved? i know they share some specifications, but i also know there are some big diferences... i do not own an scorpion, but i have a tl-2, and i want to know before pushing it to it's limits

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and use them often. My observations are:
The scorpion is a little brighter and throws further. It has an adjustable focus, which is better for utility use but worse for tactical use. It has a clickie, which is also better for utility use but worse for tactical use, although if you hold it right you can use the momentary feature with no chance of unintentionally turning it to constant on. The scorpion carries an extra bulb inside, which is convenient. The bulbs last about 5 hours while the G2's bulbs last about 20 hours, however it only costs around $4 vs around $16 for the surefire. It is much easier to change a blown bulb in the field with a G2 than a scorpion. The scorpion is a little smaller and a little more pocketable, but the rubber sleeve makes it harder to draw from a pocket. Runtime is about equal on the two. The G2 has a slightly better beam quality and can use the optional P61 lamp for double the lumens with a 20 min runtime. Both are water resistant when lubed well...I've never dunked mine yet. Either can be easily mounted on a weapon. For strictly tactical (training) work, I'd take the G2 over the scorpion. For all around use, with maybe some tactical, I'd take the scorpion. For real world tactical with lives at stake, I'd look at the M2, M3 series.