shopping for 4D light...

vtunderground

Enlightened
I'm looking for a decent waterproof 4D light (to replace the cheap 6v lantern I've been using). I almost ordered the Pelican Laser Pro 4D, when I just noticed that BrightGuy has the UK Vectra 4D on closeout for $23. Does anyone here have any experience with the UK Vectra, or the Pelican Laser Pro? I'm curious as to the beams (flood or spot? textured or smooth reflectors?), and is there any reason to pay three times as much for the Pelican when I could get the UK for so much less?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

vtunderground

Enlightened
Ok, my UK Vectra just arrived today (thanks BrightGuy!), so I'm going to answer my own questions... in case anyone else is considering this light.

First of all, at $23 the Vectra is a good deal. Smooth beam (textured reflector), plenty bright, excellent design and construction... and being able to replace a burnt-out bulb with the flick of a switch is really cool. The spare bulb doesn't seem to hurt the beam at all either. Sure it's a little heavy, but what do you expect from something holding 4 D batteries (aside from brightness and long runtime)? Probably one of my better flashlight purchases... I can't see any reason to pay three times as much for the Pelican 4D.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info because I was considering that one also. I've only got a 20 year old plastic Eveready lantern and two Coleman 4 watt fluorescent types.

So you feel it's well made and worth the $23? How much was shipping?

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
I received my Vectra from BrightGuy last week ($23. plus 6.22 shipping, I had another item on the order).

I've already used it while crawling under a house to repair a plumbing leak, and again while working in a closet (no funny remarks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

The double bulb is a bonus. Probably the best "value" of my early flashaholic addiction.

JB

vtunderground

Enlightened
Yeah, the Vectra seems well-made. The handle looks kinda cheap though, but it's solid. I think shipping was a little over $5. Definitely worth the price - this is a much nicer light than any 6v lantern-type flashlight I've ever seen.

I'll be interested to see if UK comes out with a 5w eLED module for their D-cell Sunlight series lights, like they did for the C-cell lights.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm. Gee, I don't have a UK product, yet. The old Eveready has a bad reflector and my 2MCP spot light is way too much light for close jobs and has only 20 minutes of runtime. The Colemans aren't waterproof. A flashaholic really SHOULD have at least one light from each reputable manufacturer...right?

OK, you guys twisted my arm nearly off. I'll do it, I'll do it! I'm gonna order one right now. It's YOUR fault, you know.

You know, I haven't anything from Princton Tec either...

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
jayflash, the swiveling wire stand is another nice feature when using the UK as a worklight. It allows you to place the light on the ground or other surface and direct the beam of the light to where it is needed.

JB