VitalGear FB1-HA stripped (Pics)

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
medium.jpg
medium.jpg

If you look carefully you can still see the words 'VitalGear' on the body.
medium.jpg
medium.jpg

With McGizmo Aleph2 head
medium.jpg
medium.jpg

With McGizmo Aleph1 head
medium.jpg
medium.jpg

With McLux PR head

Stripping was done by soaking in a weak lye solution made from Plumbo drain cleaner (Sodium Hydroxide 30-60%, Sodium Bicarbonate 20-40%) for about 30 mins & rubbing with a cloth. (Rubber gloves worn).

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well Done! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Very nice indeed.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome! Beautiful job, Cyril. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Great photos too. The contrasting clip and screws are handsome.

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Greg & Britt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If only the switch on this thing works as well. It seems to have a sweet spot on the tailcap, turned back to where it'll only work with the Aleph heads & with the PR head I have to pull the metal clips out so that it will contact with the battery & LED module anode /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif It seems to have less problems working with Surefire heads that I tried like the KL4 & E1E one but YRMV.

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
GutWrench said:
Am I missing something here? Wouldnt stripping the HA off make it real soft aluminum again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but some of us prefer to bare it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif Besides it really not that 'soft'.

PS09

Enlightened
Very nice!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I like new look. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Mine complimets,Cyril! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif
Is the words Vital Gear etching in the metal?

Pietro

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tylerdurden said:
I've noticed that laser etching "stain" on the aluminum on stripped Arc and MagLight parts as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif I've taken to calling it "ghost etching".

Kiessling

Flashaholic
wow! looks classy !
how long did you polish those things? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pietro, yes I think so. Chop stripped the HA off a SF KL1 & you can still see the words on it too.
picture.JPG

Photo credit - Chop@CPF

Bernhard, not that long /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

By the way, before I started work on it, I realised upon closer inspection that the HA on the tailcap seemed 'lighter' & more matte than that on the body. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Im no expert but I understand that Aluminum will be heat annealed where it was exposed to the laser inscription regardless of what type of HA is used. This will not be easily removed even after the HA has been removed in a chemical 'bath'.

Doug

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HA process does not add anything to the tensile strength (correct term?) of the aluminum. It just makes it more scratch resistance and protects it from the elements, etc.