Arc LS HD beam...square?

Catdaddy

Enlightened
I got 2 LS lights this week. One is a 2nd in white and the other is the Cyan HD 1st ($180). The White has a nice difussed beam with a bluish hot spot in the center. But the Cyan HD has a SQUARE green hot spot. Yes it is bright, very bright. But it is square and not very evenly blended. It has shadows in it. Anyone else have this light or this beam pattern?
blush.gif

dark star

Enlightened
Yes indeed, that is the pattern of the colored LS's ( and the future HD white ). Very bright - I guess the light could be smeared out and still be bright.

Lantern Jack O.

Enlightened
I ordered a cyan HD 1st also. Hasn't arrived. UPS "routed incorrectly" in Phoenix two days ago, and there's been no status update since.
frown.gif

Can you post a beam photo? I'd sure like to see what I'm missing out on.

To improve the beam, maybe try some writerite.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, with the color HD there is no phosphor layer, so you see the actual LED die. If you look close, you can see the square is actually made up of interlocking fingers that make a sort of zig-zag pattern.

The new white HD will be a square, but a solid sqaure do to the phosphor layer........

Catdaddy

Enlightened
I will try to post a picture tomorrow. I need to go to my office to get the camera and light.

I don't understand the LD HD terms at all. I wish I did understand better. This is very new to me. I do know that the HD Cyan ismuch brighter than the LD white. But the LD white has a much nicer beam. I don't mind the square shape that much. It's just that it is so pronounced and uneven compared to my other lights.

fasteddie

Enlightened
Jack O Lantern - I have also had problems with UPS on two LS shipments. I called their 800 customer service number and complained. The person on the phone was able to send a message directly to one of the depot managers here in Austin, and I got a call the next morning to help straighten it out. If you haven't called UPS yet, do it! And don't take any crap from them. There IS MORE that they can do.

Lantern Jack O.

Enlightened
Thanks Ed. I was much relieved today that my order arrived, all safe and sound. Life is good.
grin.gif

This cyan LS HD 1st is magnificent! Maybe it's just that I'd never seen an LS in person before, but I'm blown away by how bright this thing is. Very nice. BTW, yes, the hotspot is certainly squarish, and there is a slight variation in intensity/color in places. I believe that this is to be expected from an HD using the new process. In any case, I'll be posting beam shots of it in this thread later on tonight.