Laundry, Shirts & Murphy

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if I should be more embarrassed about EDCing five lights when I'm at work or admitting that I've done the laundry for the 23 years of my marriage (to the same woman). Maybe that's one of the few reasons she keeps me around. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I believe an addition to Murphy's Laws should be: "Shirt sleeves will usually be turned inside out regardless of how they enter the wash."

This happens with T's, short or long sleeves. It matters not whether a top or front loading washing machine is used.

Anyone else notice this phenomenon?

Also, any quick tricks for keeping the button flap/seam from curling out like Dilbert's tie? Why can't they curl inward and thus flatten out when buttoned? Instead, some of my cotton shirts demand ironing for only this problem. I'm too lazy and short of time to iron - if I can help it. My wife is overloaded with 15 college credits plus a computer class, so ironing is beyond her available time right now.

Come on, guys, make me feel better. Who else does the family's laundry? Be REAL men and spill the detergent - some of you must get up to your elbows in soap.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if this will work well enough for you, but I air dry or remove stuff from the dryer before completely dry. The wet/damp items are put on a hanger over the tub, and I take a minute to pull, stretch and/or flatten seams and problem areas. The end result is better than items left in the dryer for a full cycle, but button plackets and collars may still need at least some touch-up ironing (depends on how neat you need to be).

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your bravery and advice, flashfan. As you suggested, I only damp dry most items and set the moisture sensor so that nothing gets over dried. My thick, cotton, shirts finish drying on the hangers because they're damp. Pulling the plackets helps somewhat, so I take the time to do that.

The topics some people discuss on this forum!

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Mine's running right now. It's all perm press, so I just hang it to dry. My pet pieve is my washer literally ties my chothes in knots! I can drag a week's load outta it by one slieve. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

Larry

Topper

Flashaholic*
Just stopping by to say I have been married one time going on 22 years and as far as I know we do not have an iron.
It is possible that she has one hidden and waits till I am asleep. I have done the laundry one time still got pink underwear from that she has never asked me to do that since. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Did the laundry for the first 14 years my wife and I were married - then the nanny did it, now my wife (mostly) does it - whoever's schedule looks "best". I still do the cooking and grocery shopping

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
After all of the crazy things I've done for a living, I'm now a home-maker. (Since the mid-90s). I do all of our laundry, cooking, shopping and cleaning. It's great. I am happier than I've ever been before. My wife is busier than a cat in a rocking chair factory. She loves what she does and this way she can really throw herself into it.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's "best" to share the various, domestic, duties and it seems that we do.

Yeah, Larry, how the heck do all those clothes get knotted together?

Topper

Flashaholic*
I do cook quite often and food shop at least half the time.
also wash dishes just not trusted with clothes washing any more.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

HesNot

Enlightened
I probably cook 75% of the dinners and breakfasts in our house and love it. I do laundry but these days with my wife at home she does do most of it.

Without question removing from the dryer prior to being completely dry and hanging on plastic hangers is the best way to minimize wrinkles and crazy folds. A little more effort on the front end but will save you a lot of time ironing (as the shirt will need much less attention).

I wear 100% cotton all the time and this has definitely saved me.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Update on the "Washing Machine from Hell:" I just pulled out yesterday's load and there was a sock hanging out of a front pocket of the cargo pants I wore for the desert getaway. I pulled it out and found there were two more in the same pocket!! I've never put on a clean pair of slacks to find socks in the pockets! (Yeah, in the legs- really embarassing when someone points it out to you at work, but definately beats toilet paper! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) It is definately possessed!

Larry