High capacity, high current AA - Impossible?

srue

Newly Enlightened
I've been trying to find the highest capacity AA battery that will run a WA 1185 which draws 3.15A nominally. It'd be nice to have a little buffer built in, so a battery that will provide at least 4A continuous current would be ideal.

On Supreme Power's website, I found this datasheet for their upcoming 2500mAh AA batteries. Their main website is (http://www.supremebattery.net/).

The sheet claims a maximum continuous discharge current of 7.5A, and momentary (1 second) bursts up to 25A. Is this even possible, or am I misreading the sheet? This would seem to be too good to be true. Now, it doesn't state how much the voltage would sag, but 3.15A is less than half the rated maximum continuous current.

The datasheet for their 1800mAh batteries, here, show a max continuous discharge of only 1.8A, which is more in line with consumer AA batteries.

More data:
2300mAh datasheet - Claims max continuous 6.9A
2100mAh datasheet - Claims max continuous 6.3A

Any thoughts on this?

TheSteve

Newly Enlightened
The leader in high current/high voltage discharge NiMH technology right now is GP. I'd try to find some GP170AAH cells. Datasheet here: http://www.gpina.com/pdf/170AAH.PDF
The stated capacities from GP cells are usually correct as well. Many other brands seem to have wild capacity numbers.
GP also has higher capacities then 1700ma, 2300 to 2500, but check the cell impedance and datasheets.
If you can't find GP cells I'd try for Sanyo industrial cells, they can also take high current discharge abuse repeatedly.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
An alternative AA cell that is not intimidated by high loads is the single use XR-6 alkaline. It's voltage starts out at 1.7V, and it's capacity is said to be right at 3000 mAh.

This battery can be found at Savon/Osco Drugs (US) in a 4-pack for about $5.00US (Look for Kodak and Panasonic "Digital" camera batteries). Their chemical composition is nickel/oxy.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Those GP's are flat tops, and they will make contact with each other in a flashlight, and a 3toD setup.

Bill

Pinter

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
TheSteve said:
The stated capacities from GP cells are usually correct as well. Many other brands seem to have wild capacity numbers.
GP also has higher capacities then 1700ma, 2300 to 2500, but check the cell impedance and datasheets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, they are not so correct. GP is also writing big 2500, 2300 etc... numbers on their batteries. If you have good eyes you can find with small letters: 2450mAh, 2250mAh, etc...

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The issue is:
Highest capacity and high drain cells do have different electrodes.
So high drain cells (sinter electrode) should have about 25-30% less capacity than sponge electrode ones.
(and, BTW, NiMH cells have 'only' about 50% more capacity as NiCd ones, the rest is going to the different electrodes).
But as it looks, sponge electrode cells are improving.

And I agree about the GoldPeak cells.

And I have to add one: As the Rayovac I-C3 cells (rated at 2.3Ah) are made to be charged with 8.75A it is more than likely that they also can do the same current on discharge.

TheSteve

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Pinter said:
[ QUOTE ]
TheSteve said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, they are not so correct. GP is also writing big 2500, 2300 etc... numbers on their batteries. If you have good eyes you can find with small letters: 2450mAh, 2250mAh, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well a part # is one thing(and in some cases perhaps misleading) but the capacity of the cell will be what the mAh rating is - which is what I said...