high speed charger fail

idleprocess

Flashaholic
IMO USB-C fast charging is not a fully baked system yet.
Best I can tell USB-PD is a well-implemented system with two major caveats:
  1. All components in the chain - charger, cable, device - must fully comply with the spec
  2. Mixed-specification (i.e. USB-PD and the other proprietary standards) compatibility is not guaranteed
On #1 cables tend to be a major sticking point. The wrong resistor across pins and insufficient conductors for the amperage are the sources of so many woes. Cheaply-designed chargers trying to deliver more watts than they can handle is another issue - either because an acceptable lower-current design was not sufficiently augmented for greater currents or simple fraud was performed and the device claims more capability than it can handle for any length of time.

#2 is an issue because the proprietary standards are normally silo'ed beind patents or trade secrets thus interoperability is ... basically left to chance. Some charger manufacturers have a decent history of licensing popular current at the time of design standards - greatly reducing the odds of problems - but time moves on or they might not have bothered with something and along comes a device that behaves in such a fashion that it confuses the charger and causes problems.

DRW

Enlightened
I accidentally blew out a PD36R head by using a modern 20 watt fast charger...
We are unlikely to ever know, but I suspect the light was the weak link. I don't see anything on the Fenix lighting website claiming fast charge compatible. Where did you find that info?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Thanks. Other than using the word fast there isn't any mention of a 'charging standard'. 5 volts at 3 amps is 15 watts.

Did you send the light in for repair?
There are the USB-PD 2.0 and 3.x power delivery standards which covers power negotiation over USB-C. The current version can offer constant-current or constant-voltage charrging as well as a wide range of charging voltages. The PD36R doesn't say which standard it's compliant with. I don't have the analysis tools to determine whether the failure was caused by the charger, the flashlight or the cable.

I did receive a replacement head so it's back in business again, but I won't be using one of the newer fast chargers with it this time. At least not until I determine exactly what caused the failure.