OUCH!!!

SilverFox

Flashaholic
OUCH!!!

I have not purchased 123's from a local store in a long time…

I am in the middle of doing a series of testing on 123's and realized that I did not have any Duracell Ultra's. I told myself that I'll just pick some up at the local store. This was the norm before the excellent deals at SureFire and BatteryStation.

$14.99 (plus tax) for 2 Duracell 123's!

For a couple of buck more I could have a DOZEN SureFire's. Or, for a few buck more I could have a dozen (or more) batteries AND a waterproof case to keep them in from BatteryStation.

In the name of science, I bit the bullet and purchased them. It was quite painful... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I think I am going to recover, but this was a real eye opener.

Tom

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: OUCH!!!

SilverFox, thank you for your 'donations' to science /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Will you be posting your results here in the CPF?

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Eebowler,

Yes, I will be posting a 123 Battery Shoot Out when I recover from the price shock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and complete the testing... I am still shaking my head.

NewBie,

I have found that differences in batteries are magnified at higher loads. I also know that several of the flashlights we use draw in the 1-2 amp range. With that in mind, my first comparison will be at 1 amp and 2 amps.

Once these results are up, I may consider a 0.5 amp test and may go as low as a 0.250 amp test.

Tom

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*

I think it's in France that the cost for 123A is the more expensive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Only 9 Euros for one in supermarket /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
With the change it's about $11,70 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/awman.gif

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bravo! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

I really admire your sacrifice in the name of science. And I eagerly await your results (your test on alkalines was awesome).

Without Surefire and Batterystation, I would have never bought that many CR123 lights as I have.

jtr1962

Flashaholic

I would only pay $15 for a pair of batteries if they were rechargeable, and then only if they were D-size or larger. $15 for two disposable batteries is a complete ripoff. I'm amazed that Duracell gets away with pricing like that. I'm glad though that you saw firsthand why quite a few here, including myself, are not partial to flashlights using disposable 123 batteries, or disposable batteries in general (except for low current drain devices). Even at Surefire's prices this hobby can get very expensive very fast, not to mention putting all those batteries in landfill.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
SilverFox said:
Hello Eebowler,

Yes, I will be posting a 123 Battery Shoot Out when I recover from the price shock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and complete the testing... I am still shaking my head.

Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

it did not take me long to figure out that LiON rechargeable really was the cost-effective solution.. I recharge my nanolight about 2x /week and estimate my $9 battery will last about 4-5 yrs.. probably costs less than 1/10th of a cent to charge.

-awr