• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Aleph 2/LuxV/Pila 150S- Comments?

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, here's my thoughts. I'd like something for use as an EDC that would be used for mostly close-up work (looking behind /inside computers, etc.), but that will also be used for the occasional lighting things up that go bump in the night. For this reason, a lux V would seem to suit my needs due to the larger, brighter area of light over a lux III.
The light will be riding in my front pocket on a lanyard attached to a belt loop, at least until those Ti pocket clips show up. For this reason, I'm thinking Aleph 2 head and trim tailcap.
I have a couple Pila 150S's and charger, so I'd like to use the Aleph 1.5X123 body to get some good use out of them, plus I like the look/feel of the mid-sized body for pocket carry. The 1X123 body isn't too stable with a clip and the 2X123 body is a bit long, especially with dress pants.
Now the tough part, selection of a driver and what resistance for the McE2S. Which driver to match up the Pila 150S and lux V, taking into consideration that this light will see most of its use on low mode, and what resistance to use for a fairly bright low? I was thinking something along the lines of a BadBoy 650 or 700 along with a 15 ohm McE2S, but having little experience with the Pila, does this sound feasible?
Any comments, suggestions, or arguments would be appreciated!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Now that BrightNorm has had 3 5W/BB700's die on a Pila, I for one am not inclined to suggest this combo!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

*We* don't know what has killed the driver but it is strongly suspected, by at least me, that the new revision IC used in the BB can not be subjected to current levels beyond its rated capacity. The voltage of the Pila is just too low for 5W's, IMHO. To drive the circuit with under voltage also requires some current limitation that you get with CR123's but not with the Pila.

Frankly, I think the Lux III in the 20 mm reflector gives you a strong enough spill beam as well as decent beam angle on the spot to do what you have stated.

If you want a 5W in 1" OD head, I say go with the KL4 and drop its output with a two stage switch. Its driver can handle the Pila from all reports.

Now I am ultimately biased because I have felt all along that a 5W provides too many lumens in too broad of a beam when housed in a 1"OD head. If you back off on the lumens as I feel is more appropriate, you can basically get close to the same place with a Lux III in terms of luminious output and get a more useful beam combo with tighter reflected and spill beam angles with the McR-20.

There is a difference between the 5W in the KL4 and the Aleph 2 in terms of beam distribution and I know that some prefer the Aleph 2. However, I think this needs to be coupled with 2x123 and not the Pila.

I probably haven't made any sense but hopefully have at least expressed a strong "don't do it"!

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don, you just peed all over my parade! So it's back to square one then. OK, so in your opinion what driver should I be looking at that would fit what I'm looking for a Lux III then- same BB at 650 or so? Since I want a higher "low beam", would a wiz2 or NextGen BB would be OK with a low resistance McE2S, or will I be getting the flicker effect?

Flatscan

Enlightened
Here's a thread from last month that gives more information on the LuxV/BB/Pila combo. I haven't read any updates since then.

I find that my LuxV in Aleph1 has lots of usable spill. I've played with it in an Aleph2 as well as a SO17XA (Chop'd Exe), but the results didn't strike me. I think I'm going to like a LuxIII LE in an Aleph2 whenever I get around to building it.

I think a TxxK NG700, 22-Ohm is a viable alternative.

Edited to add:
Okay, I dropped my LuxV LE back in the Aleph2. Nice flood, lots of light even on low (2x123, 22Ohm). My batteries don't have enough capacity left to go into high.

Well, it doesn't matter since you've been put off the idea.

I don't actually know about LuxIII/1xPila/22Ohm, I believe that's the recommended resistance for Pilas.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting- I spent a lot of time reading up on the possibilities of the lux V and Aleph 2 but I passed over that thread since it was for the Aleph 3.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, after re-doing my homework, How does this combo sound:

Aleph 2 head
Nextgen BadBoy 750mA LE
1.5X123 Power Pack
Trim Tailcap w/ 10 ohm McE2S

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Perfect ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have to second Don's opinion about the Aleph2 ... in this head the LuxIII gives you a perfect medium flood beam with a bright an useable corona, especially in low-beam, too. The LuxV will not add substantial benefit, but is power-hungry and hot AND has potential PIPLA-problems. Go with the LuxIII !!!
Note: I am a LuxV fan, and even I have to admit the superiority of the LuxIII in this bezel.

bernhard

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK Bernhard- Looks like I'll go with this combo then. I'll think about the Lux V in another combo (Aleph 3 maybe) later.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 5W is definitely best suited for an A3 head. In an A2 head, all you really get more of is heat.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
LuxV in Aleph1 is pretty sweet, too IMHO.
But we all agree ... certainly not in the Aleph2 ...
bernhard

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know how the sizes of the lens in the Aleph compares to a PR/T but I used a UCL-LDF lens from Lens with a Lux-III to increase the spill. It does knock the lux output way down though!

EDIT: I think that it was the 29.1mm thin version or 1.2mm vs 2mm version that I used.

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tylerdurden said:
Hmmm... I actually like the Lux V in the A2 head. But I like lots of weird things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you tylerdurden I like them too. No one else seems to though.

mut

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I love my A2/LUXV but after three sudden deaths on PILAs it's back to 123s.

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
mut said:
[ QUOTE ]
tylerdurden said:
Hmmm... I actually like the Lux V in the A2 head. But I like lots of weird things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you tylerdurden I like them too. No one else seems to though.

mut

[/ QUOTE ]

I love that combo too and prefer it to the L4 but I'll continue using it on 123s. Other combinations are great too but there is simply nothing like the A2/LUXV's immense flood of near distance light coming a light smaller than an L4. You can go even smaller with 2x123s in a Vital Gear body but it heats up too fast in addition to being a color mismatch

Brightnorm