• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

FT tailcap - how do you like it?

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have the new (I think its new) FT tailcap? Tell me how you like it, if its easy to depress the button, etc. It seems like a good option where you are trying to reduce the length of the light as it seems to be shorter than the other flavors.

best regards

McGizmo

Flashaholic
There are some of these out in population. I have been meaning to get to a post on the variations of the switches and offer some in strictly limited quantities until I can get the new components from the vendors; currently these are a mod that I have to do and I was going to charge a $8 mod charge for these. Unfortunately I seem to have lost the dang round tuit again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

By nature, these switches need to be configured in a "hair trigger" activation mode and this really tightens the tollerances! As some of you know if you have converted your standard switches to "hair trigger", you go too far and you have scrap!

Personally, for a pocket light and use with bare hands, I think the FT is a great solution. It does not give you the grip you get with the standard cap.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
IMHO they are a blast and really great!
Function like a charm and make a really small light!

BUT you loose the cigar grip and attachment options ... so it is all about choices in a modular system again.

Here's a view of all Aleph Tailcap iterations:

Alephtailcaps.jpg

bernhard

McGizmo

Flashaholic
For point of clarification in discussing these variations, in Bernhards photo, from left to right we have: Flat Top (FT), Bald, Trim (T) and Standard. There might be a fifth variation in about a month or so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

sithjedi333

Enlightened
The grip is quite sufficient, especially on a 1x123 body and the knurling on the Aleph 2 head.

The flat top switch rocks for pocket carry!

Darell

Flashaholic
The FT is definitely the pocket-carry champ. And it works like a dream. Unfortunately, I don't carry lights in my pocket, and perfer the tab to anything else - so I mostly use the standard tail. But if I DO need to toss a light in my pocket, the FT is the answer.

The only draw-back with the FT for me (besides losing the 1/4-20 hole and the tab mount - doesn't have to be like that, does it Don? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif) is that the membrane on mine pooches out just a bit to make tail standing NOT rock-steady as with the guarded switches. I'll likely take just a bit more metal off the nubbin to fix that... or compress the spring a bit. For shear size/switching function, the FT can't be beat.