Laser questions >>>>

JDELUNA

Newly Enlightened
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I thought I read somewhere that if one had been stranded somewhere like an island, mountain top, woods, etc. and if they saw a plane flying overhead that if they pointed their laser towards the plane that the plane would be able to see it even though the plane might be at 40,000 feet and may be able to get the person rescued. If this is true, what would be the smallest laser to be able to do this and why is this not a standard issue for survival paks, etc. ??? Thanks for any info. God Bless. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LaserMod

Enlightened
I have no idea...I suppose you'd be really gutted if your first chance of being rescued ...imagine 'Castaway'

Hanks: "Wilson look it's a plane...I attract it's attention with my new 50mw laser"

Pilot: "Fllllaaassshhhh...may-day may-day emergency aircraft I've lost my night-vision..." *splash!*

Hanks: "Doh!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

But yeah seriously I reckon not any laser is low power enough to shine at aircraft - them LED key-torches can be seen a few miles away though yes? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

JDELUNA

Newly Enlightened
Well I guess you would not really shine the laser at the aircraft but maybe along its flight path, that way they can see it. Am I correct that after about a mile or so depending on the quality of the laser, strength, etc. that the width beam will have been much wider, probably at an altitude of about 30,000-40,000 feet, wide enough to be noticed by pilots to get their attention, especially if they were in the middle of an the ocean searching for someone in the vicinity ??? This is just something I have always wondered and I thought (Maybe I was dreaming) that I read somewhere about this ???

slammin

Newly Enlightened
Attachable heads come free with some of the one pound/dolllar keychain red lasers and can make the beam appear a different shape. You could try one of those first to see if it works to save yourself nearly 100 quid on a 5mW red pointer cos it seems expensive to me.

JDELUNA

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
liteglow said:
http://www.harktheherald.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=36048

what if this is the effect by calling for help !?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the way that this device works is not like a regular laser pointer with the little dot. Its beam is actually a vertical line, the farther out it goes from the source the larger it is, that is why it is seen for many miles. When it crosses back and forth the sight of the person , the person sees the beam as a red flash.

GLLMAGNUM1.jpg

FreeSeeker

Newly Enlightened
There are "focussable" or "adjustable focus" red lasers offered. Is this better than "line" lasers?

slammin

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gifSeems like a waste of money to me just for a 5mW red laser with a different lens. You can get different lenses on the ones for a quid. This seems like some sort of an advert to me.

Raccoon

Enlightened
I doubt very much that JDELUNA is a representative of this device. Please refrain from accusing users of spamming when they're simply doing research FOR YOU.

JDELUNA

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Raccoon said:
I doubt very much that JDELUNA is a representative of this device. Please refrain from accusing users of spamming when they're simply doing research FOR YOU.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raccoon, thank you very much !!! Well said !!! God Bless.