UV Luxeon mod

Joshua

Newly Enlightened
Do any of you have a really good blacklight light bulb? I did, and I put it to good use. My girlfriend came in with a blacklight she got at a party. When I screwed it in our lamp by the side of our bed I noticed it was more purple and not a whole lot of UV. In fact no day glow objects were glowing under this light. So I took out my old blacklight bulb from 4 years back and it had a MUCH deeper UV coating on the inside. The filiment in mine seemed fuzy and out of focus because of all that UV shortwave. So I took my bulb and carefully cracked it.
grin.gif
I took two fragments of the bulb and made it a filter on my white LS/O. It made a rough eqivalent to a 415nm Luxeon star/O. It was pretty neat, simple but still pretty neat. Although I am loosing alot of light output by using a white LS. But ALOT of it comes through! I want to try this out with one of the deep blue LS/Os. It might help the UV light output. Sometimes you have to shop arond and buy the best blacklight bulb with the most UV coating to get the desired affect. Mine is also going through 2 thick UV coated lenses. So you can boost the UV output by that method as well. Im not going to try more layers of filters till I get the deep blue LS.
True, they don't make UV LS yet, but we can get close.
smile.gif

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Royal Blue Luxeon will give you the best option without any true UV. However, sudies have also shown eye damage from near UV blue light, but a a much slower rate.