THOR HID Adapter Ring - who can make some?

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
I've been playing around with D1S and D2S bulbs in my THOR. Great mod, gives you maybe 10-20% more light with better color and about triple the run time.

You can buy an adapter at Casper's electronics for $25, cut the glare shield off it and put a couple of o-rings on it to get the right spacing, but that's still a less than elegant solution.

I've been playing around with the focus and have taken some careful measurements as to what the adapter should be. Basically, with a D1S you want the metal base to be about 2 mm from the back collar of the THOR reflector. If you mount it flush, the focus is close, but not perfect.

A stepped collar would be nicer and more secure but a simple collar would be enough.

Easy to make.......if you have a lathe. If I supply the dimensions, is there someone out there who is willing to make a batch and sell them to CPF'ers?

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
I looked at a couple of D1S and D2S bulbs - turns out Osram and Philips have slightly different bases. The base of the Osram has a nice inner ring which would make a simple spacer adequate.

If you were to make a spacer for Osram bulbs only, it would be a donut with an ID of 0.96, an OD of 1.69, and a thickness of 0.235 (all measurements in inches.

If you have a philips bulb, there is no convenient inner ring to reference, so you'd want to have a stepped ring. Basically it would be the ring I just mentioned with another ring on top, this one has the same OD, but has an ID of 1.26" and a thickness of 0.1" (Not critical)

Thanks.

Is there anyone else out there who is wanting to mod their THOR to HID? This adapter ring would provide a much simpler and secure way of fastening the bulb....

theepdinker

Enlightened
Anybody with a lathe & 2" round piece of aluminum could do that.
For less than your other adapter most likely.
I know I could.

Theepdinker

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
theepdinker said:
Anybody with a lathe & 2" round piece of aluminum could do that.
For less than your other adapter most likely.
I know I could.

Theepdinker

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, my friend, you assume too much. You forget about us lathe challenged individuals, or should I just say mechanically challenged.

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Back in 7th grade, I made several things on a lathe in metal shop (Gyroscope, cannon, etc)

I definitely think it could be done for far less than $25 - the other adapter had cutouts in the base as well as a glare shield.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a lathe these days.....I might check with the machine shop in my building to see if they can let me in for a quick "Government job"

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Looks like I won't be able to get one made without finding someone who has a metal lathe handy....Theepdinker, any interest in making one (or more, if anyone else wants one?

How much?

Thanks...

theepdinker

Enlightened
I said "I know I could".
That was an offer.
Let me know which design you want.

Theepdinker

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Thanks for the offer! I'm interested in the stepped design as that will be more flexible in the long run....What do you think would be a reasonable price?

theepdinker

Enlightened
Okay, so it looks like this is more than a one or two piece request.
I'll turn a few tomorrow so I can see actual time, rather than a guess & a higher price.
I'll post a firm price tomorrow evening.

Theepdinker

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
If you're up for it I'll post something in the group buy forum to alert the unwashed masses. Also,we'll probably want to make certain that the given dimensions don't need tweaking before running any kind of batch...

So far it looks like the initial interest is about a dozen.

Twentysixtwo: 4
BVH: 4
LotsaLumens: 4

theepdinker

Enlightened
So I started with 2" stock.
Put the new band saw together. Adjust everything, cut a chunk. Readjust, recut, readjust, recut, re etc....
Band saw works great now.
Chuck the chunk & start reducing to 1.69". Everything going smooth.
RATS, goofed my math got 1.65". Start over.
Cut, chuck, reduce, math on paper. 1.6895" that'll do.
Bore, bore step, part piece, debur.

2 1/2 hours later all I need is a bulb and ballast.

I'm not sell'in the $100.00 prototype. Nope, I don't care how bad you want it.

Given economy of scale & lessons learned, looks like $8.50 shipped USPS in the US.

I want some body to try it out before making a couple dozen paperweights.
twentysixtwo you waiting on this part to do a mod right now?

Theepdinker

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Theepdinker - PM Sent....

I'm rarin to go - I've been resisting the desire to "just do it" with gobs of RTV on my hacked up H4 bulb base.

Price is right - it's cheaper than adapter at Casper's and I won't have to cut off the glare shield and screw with spacers to get the right focus.

To anyone else reading this thread -This adapter should hold a D1x or D2x automotive HID bulb in the center of a THOR reflector with the correct focus. It should also work on any other spotlight which uses an H4 bulb. You'll still need to secure the bulb from coming out backwards - I'll mean that you are only working in one axis - I plan to be drilling ~4 small holes in the reflector base ring and using some stainless wire.