EDC spares

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
The down side to regulated LED lights -- you never really know how much of that 90 minutes (or whatever) of total bright runtime you have left. The same applies to incandescents, more or less. It's no good getting into some situation requiring more than the 15 minutes you might have left.

So, what to do about spare batteries for high-performance lights? Any good ideas on how to keep one or two 123s protected and with you?

Don't say "backup light" because a Photon won't do, and I don't have the room /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Scott

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been wondering the same thing since my G2 died suddenly last week.
This is the best and least expensive idea I could come up with:
Get shrink tube in a slightly larger diameter of a 123 slide two batteries in with a cardboard spacer and heat it up..very carefully. If it turns out to have holes in the ends where it can't shrink tight, and you need protection from water then a drop of hot glue in each end and VOILA! 2 Completly sealed batteries waiting for their turn in the light.
For those who don't know what shrink tube is, it is a rubbery plastic tube looking very similar to a straw (whatever size you want) and shrinks when heated forming a thick protective "skin" on whatever is inside it, usually wiring. Radio Shack sells it, in many colors too I think. A couple bucks will buy a few feet of it.
Another thought.. If you were to put a cord through the tube before shrinking it you could make a great neck hanger or on the end of a cord on the light..

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use one of those bright orange waterproof camping match containers. It just fits 2 123s. I hear that one of the brands of APS film can will hold 2 123s side-by-side, but I haven't tried that yet.

Pydpiper - cool idea! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Peak used to offer a 1x123 light configuration with a spare battery compartment. It was basically their double ended 2-headed light with one head replaced by a tailcap. They might still be willing to sell you one although it's not listed on their site any more.

im2smrt4u

Newly Enlightened
Well, I have my primary light in my pocket (Surefire U2 or L4), then I have my A2 as a backup, then a Peak Kilimanjaro as a backup to my A2, then a Photon as a last ditch. That doesn't include the Pelican M6 in my car, or the KL1/FB1 combo my g/f carries.

I'm going to get a Surefire Spares carrier one of these days, but until then I think I'm safe.

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
The BlackHawk pouch in which I carry my T3 has spare battery slots. Therefore, I always have spares on me.

As far as lights go, I always have my Micra and T3 on me. I keep an Ultra-G and a Photon Freedom on my keyring, and I also keep a SureFire SC3 in my briefcase.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Why "Don't say "backup light" because a Photon won't do"? "

I am an engineer by trade and a volunteer firefighter by choice. Both jobs require a "real" light -- for inspections in the former and nighttime calls in the latter. A small backup light might keep you from tripping on something, but it really won't pry into the shadows for the task at hand.

The other thing is that I only have so much "space." I have to keep it trim and professional looking for work, and being a volunteer frequently means having to hop out of bed, throw on some clothes, and go.

I have read some guys' EDC lists on other forums, and, wow. I just can't do the "chipmunk-cheek pockets" thing. One small belt pouch is about it for me.

Hey WallaceD, what kind of Blackhawk pouch are you using?

Scott