not heard much on

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the Ion at an REI store this summer and was impressed by its small size and decent output. Decided against this diminutive headlamp because it uses a specialty battery. Also wondered why others weren't talking about it, but then again, I kept quiet as well.

funk

Enlightened
Funny you say that, b/c I kept quiet on the Ion for the same reason. I actually bought it and find that it serves me almost no purpose. I prefer my photon for small light and a real headlamp for a head light. Who knows - I want to check out the Brinkmann even though I am sure that I will de disappointed - but I am here - so I will buy it.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Brinkman seems a complete waste as well. Far too much bulk for a 1 LED headlamp.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how much side spill there is on that Brinkman. I don't care to ratchet my neck all over the place to see stuff.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the Brinkmann headlight and it appears to be an adaptation of the "Longlife" made into a headlight. I also saw the Ion, and as mentioned, it uses an odd battery - a CR2, if memory serves me correctly.

In the given price range, I'd think the PT Aurora would likely be a better choice.

Let me qualify my statments, by pointing out that I have not seen the beam from either of these 2 headlight mentioned here, but I do own an Aurora.

Stefan

Enlightened
The Ion is not bad for close-up work. True, battery life sucks (14 hours total on fresh batt) but I guess thats the price to pay for the smallest headlamp. I have it attached to a corner bedpost and aimed at the ceiling...makes an ok nightlamp.

I discovered that the expensive battery that it takes is a stack of 4 LR44 (will work off of 3 cells, has a resistor inside). Same size of cells of some laser pointers.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the PT Solo with Matrix module and Versalux PR-2 LED bulb better. It is waterproof (dive rated). For one more powerful and brighter, I have the Coleman Peak 1 Expedition, with the Versalux installed.