New Delkin RCR123A charger and batteries- a Review

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a pair of new Delkin eFilm RCR123A rechargeable batteries and the Delkin charger. A few initial observations will be in this message and then I hope to have more info in the next couple days. I bought this from Thomas Distributing who lists the specs for this battery and charger. The specs they list are exactly the same as what Delkin has in a PDF file on this battery/charger at www.delkin.com . First I'll show what they have for specs - then we'll talk about the real facts and what I have so far.
Features:
- High performance Li-Ion technology
with no memory effect
- Protection circuits to ensure safe
operation. Automatically shuts off when
charge is complete
- Charging Time: 2 to 3 hours
- Low self-discharge rate. Retains 90%
of its charge after 28 days sitting idle
Specifications
- Cell Type: Li-Ion
- Battery Output: DC 3.0 +/- 0.3V 2.0A (max.)
- Charger Input: AC 90 ~ 240V 48 ~ 63Hz
- Charger Output: DC 4.9V/0.1A
---------
Did you notice that Battery output of 3.0 + or - 0.3 volts? Well that is simply not the case. Using a Fluke 77 Digital Meter and checking that even with another digital meter (which agreed within .01 volt or better) I found that a partially charged battery fresh off the charger was putting out 3.95 volts open circuit. I then threw a single 5 volt white LED across it and that voltage dropped to 3.60 volts after a few seconds and held around there. That's a big difference from a maximum of 3.30 volts (actually Thomas Dist had list 3.15 to 3.25 v max I believe). Especially if you are running two of them in series since the additional voltages will add up and could exceed your devices or lights upper limit. The actual charger output measured 4.85 volts and with a protected battery in it for about 40 minutes I was getting 4.85 volts across the battery while in the charger - it started at about 4.0 volts while in the charger. The red light is still on the charger indicating it is going to keep charging. I don't know at what point or what it uses to stop charging but it states it will automatically shut off when fully charged. Waiting to see on that. I also measured the amperage output of the charger with the fluke - it measured 0.6 amps as opposed to the 0.1 amps stated. That can be difficult to measure but I'll believe the meter at this point. I also threw the meter across the battery which is probably 95% + charged and it read just over 6.0 amps. They are rated at 2.0 or 2000 milliamps. It appears they can put out a lot of current in a short burst if the meter is correct. So far I have put them in two different Arc LS lights briefly and nothing fried yet - does anyone know what the Arc's are able to handle for input voltage? I've got on Arc LS first run but modded with a board that has a high-low dip switch on it and one Arc LS1 (ser. no. 3596). At this point I would discourage anyone from putting them in 2 or 3 cell flashlights. A one cell light may be safe depending on the bulb or the LED or LED/regulator circuit being used. All input welcome...

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
She's real fine my 409 - getty up - oops I might be showing my age there. 4.09 volts is what it came off the charger at when it finished charging - open circuit voltage.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay it's been sitting a couple minutes now and I put the white 5v LED across it - that pulled it down to 3.73 volts where it stayed after several seconds. Too much for some lights possibly. A couple other odd things about the Delkin that could be called stupid: The battery is largely colored Red on one end and dark blue (appears black in low light) on the other end. Guess which end is positive - the Black end. And the Red end is Negative. Could be a problem in some situations. And consider this - when I got the charger in the package one battery was installed in the charger - BACKWARDS. Positive was installed on the negative terminal... I guess it's not too bad for the intelligent people that hang out here but consider the average plug'n'go person getting one of these...

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
matrixshaman said:
- Protection circuits to ensure safe
operation. Automatically shuts off when
charge is complete

[/ QUOTE ]

Was Delkin nice enough to say in the specs if the protection circuit was in the charger or the cell(s)? That is very important.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey haveblue - used to live 45 minutes North of your listed location. Actually Delkin does not clearly state that but the Thomas Dist. site says: "The Delkin RCR-123A battery has internal circuitry that limits the overcharge and dissipation of the battery." But they also say "Actual Voltage is 3.15V ~ 3.25V ( the safe voltage range of an actual CR-123A lithium battery)" which as I stated above does not appear to be true.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elk Grove? Sacramento? Davis? Sheldon? Not Rio Linda?

Do you trust the Thomas web site to have reliable information on the rechargeable cells?

The reason I ask is because to me it seems really hard to pull information from people selling products on the web and when I do get some information 50% of the time it is flawed information or just plain wrong. Sometimes I think the people on the other end, sales, wants to make a buck and not a customer. I consider the Net the equivalent to the old Wild West.

flash99dark

Newly Enlightened
Re: New Delkin RCR123A charger and batteries- a Re

Matrixshaman.....Thanks for the nice review...I will take the
Delkins out of my Surefire P6...I have probably just been lucky....william...I am wondering if you would recommend using
one in an Inova T1. I would hate to kill the circuit as it is
a super white LED? (I remember when a Jag XKE cost $5000 new)

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

haveblue, Actually I worked in Sac. and lived in Loomis. And yes that is a good evaluation of the 'Net' - old Wild West where there are people selling snake oil and muffler bearings. I'm going to probably call them today on this and will also try to confront Delkin on this. I may have to get a little inventive - like hey Delkin how come this blew up my new $2000 Nikon?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually I know these will work fine in an Arc 4 and I'm going to check to see if they will work in the new HDS EDC's. I don't own either yet but will get one of them sometime.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

The two fully charged cells have been sitting now for over a day and still read 4.05 volts open circuit. I wouldn't call that a 3 volt battery. AA Alkalines open circuit new are about 1.65 volts or 10% over rated 1.5 volts. Following that logic the 3 volt battery should be 3.30 volt max open circuit. While I still have a potential use for these the advertising on them is misleading and dangerous to potential users' devices. Use care with these...

Noah Monk

Newly Enlightened

Have you reported these findings to Thomas Dist.? be curious to hear what they have to say about it. I have had great experience dealing with them and they've demonstrated a keen interest in providing good info.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not yet - been slow in getting around to this since I decided I would use them in a light that can handle the 4 volts plus so it's somewhat a non-issue for me any more - I do have a good use for them. But I'll probably get around to it soon as it just could result is some damage to certain devices based on their ad.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast

I also have had superb service from Thomas Dist.
Give the retailer a chance to fix the problem.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Delkin Battery looks alot like my 3volt rechargable. I wonder if it is the same thing.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just as a couple side notes here: I got an Arc 4+ today and put the R123 in it. It would not fit properly and so no light. I had to add a small coil of copper wire onto the bottom of the battery with a leg of the wire stuck into the wrapping of the battery case to get it to work. Works fine that way but it might be a problem if the little chunk of copper got loose inside somewhere. That's a problem that they are not the same dimensions. Second note - the Arc 4+ had a slightly used regular 123 in it that read 2.81 volts. So for the heck of it I stuck it in my CR123 charger as per my other thread where I went on a rant about being able to recharge the standard Lithiums. I normally only put them in a couple minutes at most but I forgot in my zeal to learn all about the new Arc 4+ so it was on the charger for over an hour. I did have the charger covered with a heavy chunk of Lexan but as it turns out no explosion - not even warm. After pulling it off the charger the voltage was 3.90 volts.
I'll let you know how this battery holds up and why I still say you can recharge standard Lithiums with some care. The battery is now down to 3.73 volts just sitting there for a few minutes. New ones usually read 3.30 volts or so....