2C bulb in a 3D Mag= nice change!

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It originally had a 3D OEM Xenon bulb, but I wanted to see what overdrive was like. So I picked up a cheap .85$ bulb rated for 2C batt use. WOW, it's bright AND white! How long will it last? Thanks!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
3 cells against a 2 cell bulb is on the ragged edge of flash.

It may not last through the next time you activate it.

I am not comfortable below a 3 driven by 4. and a 4 by 5 or 6 by 7 is better and better.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if you don't use it a LOT and runtime isn't as important as brightness, if you unscrew the head a few turns, you can cram 4 C cells in there and run a 3 cell Mag Krypton bulb to very nice effect.

Or for a bit more whiteness but a bit less output, you can of course stick a 4 cell Xenon bulb in with the 4 C cells.

A red 3D Mag with 4 C Cells and a 4 cell Xenon bulb and a sputtered reflector is my large car light.

I've never had good luck with driving 2 cell bulbs with 3 cells. Even when fairly discharged. I did have one old Mag bulb with the green little thingy (technical term) from about a 10 year old Maglite that ran on 3 fresh cells for several weeks of off and on use. I've never been able to find the exact same looking bulbs again. It was quite bright while it lasted though.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
In the period /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gifre-superbulb: my favorite M*g is/was a 3D in a maroon color with 4 NiMH C cells, driving a M*g Krypton 3 cell bulb through an Acrylite lense. Beautiful pretty white spot perfected by the Acrylite.

I almost certainly won't change that one, so I will need one or two new 3D for hotwire FUN when the parts all trickle in!

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, I tried this myself using a 2D Xenon bulb. I bought it from Wal-Mart; the package says Rayovac Xenon and the bulb itself says Philips HPX-21 2.4VDC .8A

Anyway, I had one I dropped and bent the filiment on so it produced the funny ring shaped beam. I went to change it out which was when I found a 3D mag to put it in. So I tried it out and it was extreamly bright but it went "POW" after 20 seconds.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have found that the absolute simplest mod for a Mag 3D is to run it with 4 C cells and a CL606 bulb (Carley 3.7v krypton bulb). I've been running a Mag 1C with 2 C123's and a CL606 bulb for a while now with no problems.

You can overdrive a krypton bulb more than a xenon bulb.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like I said, on fresh cells, I've never got more than a few seconds use driving 3 cell Xenons with 4 fresh cells.

I pretty much stick with over driving kryptons.

I would like to try a 6 cell Xenon driven on 3 123s in a 2C. That might last more than an hour.

Glenn

Enlightened
cratz2:

quote: "I would like to try a 6 cell Xenon driven on 3 123s in a 2C. That might last more than an hour."

I am running a magnum star xenon 6 cell bulb in my 2C/3X123 and I am on my 2nd set of batteries with it.

Glenn

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
My buddy swiped my Krypton spare bulb out of my Fulton 2D angle light and used it in his 3D M*g before I caught on. It worked for quite awhile with intermittent use.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cratz2 said:
Wow... a 2 cell Xenon lasted more than a half a second on 3 cells?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the batteries in that light were used. It might have just flashed if I had new batteries in the light.

On the other hand, I had an Osram HPR-102 Bulb from an Energizer Halogen Series 2D flashlight burn out after 1 second when I connected it to a Black and Decker Versapak battery. The battery pack says 3.6 volts but I think it was more like 4 volts as it was fresh from the charger.

[ QUOTE ]
Ran the vacuum bulb for 1 minute and it wont light up anymore. The filiament is still intact

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard to see a broken filiment in a flashlight bulb. You really have to look closely under a strong light. Most of the bulbs I've blown have breaks that are less than a millimeter.

Nubo

Enlightened
A 3-cell bulb in a 4AA light, using NiMH gives a bright and fairly reliable light and the brightness doesn't drop off much over the batery life.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh hell yeah! Mag brand 3 cell Keypton in a Princeton Tec 40 is one of my favorite "good light in a small package" lights.

Of course, bulb life is reduced and battery run time is reduced.