cy

Flashaholic
Amazing antique dry cell still works...

early dry cell still puts out 1.360V

dry cell.JPG

cy

Flashaholic
yep, your right it only delivers 6 milliamps

I charged cell with 1.3V @ 500 milliamps for a few minutes, seems to be coming right back up.

don't want to push my luck on this antique cell...

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's one thing about DMMs, they're misleading as to the state of a battery. The cell is of more interest as a curiosity than as a power source. Very neat - I wonder if you can still get them? I remember one in my parents' basement back in the early 60's - I don't know what it was doing there. Doorbell maybe?

Mike

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two of those cells. They came with my antique telegraph set. I never thought to check the voltage on my old Colombia cells. I assumed the cells died of old age. I don't think I'll be powering any lights with my cells or expect the cells to jump start my car but I'm am surprised the cells still hold a, slight, charge.

That was interesting, Cy. Thanks!

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, there still about, I see 'em in local hardware stores from time to time.

There's also a steel cased battery with four of them for 6 Volts with a strap handle on the top.

Number 6 cells, sometimes called igniter cells as they were used to light oil burners (and still are in a few older houses around here). Likewise, my grandmother's house used a pair for the doorbell. Come to think of it, that's where I found two pennies in her fuse box when the scout book suggested young scouts check for them for safety reasons. Dad took me down to get to real fuses to replace them with, although it took some doing to figure out how to get the pennies out (finally used a wooden match). Long time back...

I used to tear them apart as a kid and get the fat carbon rod that ran down the center.

Doug Owen

georget98

Enlightened
Energizer lists an alkaline version here. Internally they say it's two 3-361's in parallel. Now what's a 3-361? They're about $25 each.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
georget98 said:
Energizer lists an alkaline version here. Internally they say it's two 3-361's in parallel. Now what's a 3-361? They're about $25 each.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeow! $25! Do they make them by hand or what? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I remember learning about electricity way back in grade school with an Eveready version of that cell. Seeing that photo brings back nice memories.

Dry cells are technically "damp" cells. I've resurrected a few dead C-cells by poking a hole near the bottom and sitting them in a dish of water so they could slowly absorb some of it. I wouldn't want to damage such a neat looking antique though!

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
I remember learning about electricity way back in grade school with an Eveready version of that cell. Seeing that photo brings back nice memories.

Dry cells are technically "damp" cells. I've resurrected a few dead C-cells by poking a hole near the bottom and sitting them in a dish of water so they could slowly absorb some of it. I wouldn't want to damage such a neat looking antique though!

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that takes me *way* back. To breathe new life in dead D cells, you punch a couple of nail holes through the wall, stand it in a bowl of sal amoniac and water for a while and then seal the nail holes with candle wax.....

Doug Owen