Apples to Oranges - MagHID vs stock spot (Thor)?

txmatt

Enlightened
I was wondering how these two would compare in terms of light ouput. As I understand it, HID is 3-5x more efficient in terms of lumens/watt than incandescent. So Modamag's 10 (or 14?) watt MagHID's would seemingly be approaching some of the ~50 watt spotlights in brightness, but not the 100 watts of the Thor bulb.

In addition, would the supposed tight spot of the MagHID's give comparable throw to some 50-100 watt incadescent spotlights since the lumens are confined to a narrower beam?

The amount of light from the Thor is impressive but not conducive to carrying for say a couple hour night hike, not to mention that the run time on high wouldn't support it.

A (2D/8AA) MagHID on the other hand, is very carryable, with 60-90 minute run time, and it's easy to swap in another set of NiMH AA batteries.

While I wouldn't expect a 2D MagHID to be as bright or have the throw of the Thor, I'm trying to get a grasp of the relative brightnesses before I commit the $ for the MagHID. It's a lot of money for a flashlight, but a bright, handheld HID is very cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks,
Matt

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are looking for brightness, runtime, throw and portability then the Mag2HID or MiniHID will definitely fit the bill better than any other flashlight I can think of.

Well, if you don't mind a fat handle then there is the Fivemega FatMag85 with 3" head. 60 minutes runtime, focusable from flood to an extremely tight spot, 1234 lumens. I hope you have big hands. It also runs on 18AA (for the 60 minutes runtime)

Relative brightness compared to Thor? It may be easier to comprehend the brightness of the HID's if you compare them to something more in the same output range. It's more like a Surefire M6 HOLA except the HID's are focusable and run longer and have a higher color temperature.

I had all the same thoughts as you. I ordered it anyways. I had HIGH expectations. I was still impressed and in awe the day I received my MiniHID's and Mag2HID. A HID mag is a hard setup to beat.

I highly recommend these HID mags. You will not be let down.

Jeff

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
a stock thor has about 2400 bulb lumens

your mag hid has around 500 bulb lumens

a 10 million cp thor has a 7 inch reflector

no contest as far as output goes thor wins

kool factor mag hid wins.

txmatt

Enlightened
I don't really have experience with anything that I think is comparable. I'm still pleased/amazed at the output from my Surefire G2 for the price and size. My next step up in brightness from there is a Coleman 55 watt spotlight/fluorescent combo (1 million claimed cp I think) which is really handy. Then I've got a Harbor Freight 8825 and a Thor.

I'm guessing the Mag2HID would be about the same brightness as the Coleman. So the Mag2HID might be the same output, 2x lighter weight, 2x smaller, 3x the run time, 3x cooler gadget, and 10x the price. Hmmm, 2x+2x+3x+3x=10x... how's that rationale?

That I'm even THINKING of paying $250 for a flashlight makes me really HATE this site. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

java_man

Newly Enlightened
this should put things into perspective

lightlumens7ur.jpg

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
the thor bulb at 16 volts will not last long
and it probaqbly degrades fast - less light even with same power in.

so 50(or more)watt hid is the way to go - dl50 at 50 watts = 5300 lumens

java_man

Newly Enlightened
your right on both counts markdi

overdriven hotwires are short lived...probably 2 hrs or so for the 16v thor..its only on the graph because that has been a popular subject here

and 50 w hids make very very bright spotlights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Re: Apples to Oranges - MagHID vs stock spot (Thor

One note: HID are less efficient at lower power outputs, so a 10W HID as in the Mag2HID is not 10/35 the lumens output of a 35 watt HID

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast

Go ahead and get the Mag2HID. You wont regret it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jeff

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast

JM,

You have the MR? Brilliant. But since it's short arc, is it really that much brighter than the 75 watt maxabeam, which is often quoted at 800 lumens (and I think that't even a stretch).

java_man

Newly Enlightened

No, I dont own a MR ....as cool as they are I cant afford it

Good catch on the lumens cheesehead...the MR uses a cermax lamp with an integrated reflector and a lens optical path which is unique for a hand held as far as I know

I used the lamp lumens for the comparison, no accounting for the reflector losses etc.

This puts the MR at a comparative disadvantage because perkin elmer did not publish the raw lumens for thier lamp, just the output at the focal plane which is 2,700

I updated the chart ...it probably is still fair enough because the MR will lose additional lumen though the lenses

lightlumens10hk.jpg

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice chart. I think the overdriven Thor may soon be displaced by the 50 watt HID. And the Mag HID is certainly holding it's own, esp given it's form factor.