MagmaLED in *ag 2AAA

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my MagmaLED from TechAss today...after reading Roy's posts about fitting it in a *ag 2AAA, I knew I had to have one. I've had a *ag 2AAA for some time, but didn't use it all that much...with a Nexstar bulb, it ate batteries too fast. With the stock bulb, I thought it was all but worthless! I've always liked the size and feel of it, but I didn't want to bore out the reflector to fit a 5mm LED in it.

Anyway, I have to say that the MagmaLED in the 2AAA *ag is a VERY nice little light
icon14.gif
...nice, smooth beam of light that isn't blinding by any means, but is very useable. I smoothed down the sides of the MagmaLED's circuit board just a hair with a dremmel so it wouldn't get hung up in the *ag's bezel, put some WriteRight on the lens, fired it up and was extremely pleased with the results. The light it puts out is soft and pleasant to look at, with no bluish hotspot in the middle. It looks to be about 25% brighter than my Pelican L1 on fresh silver oxide batteries, but throws quite a bit further as a result of being able to focus it down. This thing has definitely given my 2AAA *ag a new lease on life! Those of you that have a 2AAA *ag layin' around gathering dust, IMO, this is a good investment of $14.95. I'm extremely pleased with it...just enough light for times when ya don't need a luxeon...

PJD

FYI...use caution when filing down/smoothing the edge of the circuit board. The conductors are very close to the edge, and if you file too deep, you'll definitely damage the unit. You need only take it down very little to get it the bezel to fit over it.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
"Luck of the draw" I guess... mine didn't need filing down at all. It fit right in! I'm also very pleased and thanks to Roy for suggesting and proving that it can be used in an AAA!

MYREDCHEVY

Newly Enlightened
Got mine a week ago, fit perfect (in AAA M@G). Perfect little light for around the house. Finally the flashlight has a use again. I have a arc AAA and love it, but dang I never can find it at night when I'm half asleep.

Empath

Flashaholic
I didn't find any need to use WriteRight. Since it can be focused, the beam appears good without it. Of course, I'm only aware of how mine was. Some may not be the same.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
FYI.....I got a 13% improvement in light transsmision by removing the lens from the AAA Minimag! Measured 202ma with the lens in place and 230ma with the lens out.

I got the same results (14%) with the Magmaled mounted in a Brinkmann AAA Legend. Nice little flashlight, it has a locking tailcap switch! If I remember correctly, I sanded a bit off the bottom of the reflector to compensate for the heigth of the led.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto all the above positive comments about the magmaLED/2AAA combo. I use this little guy a lot now around the house and when I am inside the computers fixing something.

I did shorten the reflector in my 2AAA a little to tighen up the beam though. Now it turns on into a perfect spot and floods out nicely.