Powerfull laser

Ivar

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, funny it works for me. It's basically this laser cutting printer that can engrave stuff via laser into anything from metal to plastic. Have no idea how it works, just saw the add in New Scientist if I'm not mistaken.

Empath

Flashaholic
I'm going to, at least temporarily, put this thread in suspended animation by locking it. I see a need for administration to consider the relevance of cannibalizing industrial equipment for retrieving engraving capable lasers, and a forum dedicated to portable illumination.

The thread may or may not be re-opened later, pending the considerations and determinations of administration.

I'm reopening this thread. While I don't expect to see a run on $8000 equipment for the purpose of cannibalizing it's laser, the same attempts on other equipment could lead to safety considerations and non-type accepted devices.

Please use good judgment.

Ivar

Newly Enlightened
I see you have unlocked it again, just to make this clear.

I was not suggesting anybody take out the laser of this unit, I was more wondering about the safety aspects of having such a unit for sale, especially with all the recent hassel of green laser bein pointet at aircrafts etc. I would suspect a laser like this would be higher class 3B or class 4, and I would therefore think that these things (seeing that laser pointers of this high output are illegal) would also be illegal, as the people who buy lasers to to damage would be able to get a hold of one anyhow.

xenophobe

Newly Enlightened
Actualy you were suggesting that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I don't think anyone is stupid enough to spend $8000+ on an engraver just to rip the laser out of it though.

luckytexan

Newly Enlightened
I had to use another browser. Don't you just love webpages that require Script or worse use Flash for links?

Anyway, that's a CO2 cutting laser-- its hot, but not very long range. The only danger would be to the user.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have worked on both HIGH power CO2 (2000 watts +) and LOW power (35-75 watts). the low power units (engravers) I worked on are fun to 'play' with. Most of the small units are 'SYNRAD' sealed tubes with an included RF exciter powered be a low voltage (24-48VDC). The beam on a small CO2 would stay tight for a decient time. As far as safety, the most hazardous situation is direct eye or skin exposure. If you have ever seen a CO2 in an industrial setting, there is little if no 'optical' protection. (compared to YAG). as far as doing the BIG NONO, it would not work, glass and plastic either reflect or absorbe (<- that word dosent look right), the laser light, special opticas are needed to pass 10600nm. and the human eye itself will block the light from hitting your retina, unless the smoke, flames and pain dont make you mave out of the way. DEFINATELY NOT A TOY, but in a marker, some AMAZING stuff can be done on wood and paper.
Jeff

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
I have used a 120 watt co2 when I was in highschool and that thing was fun, I found it ironic that a high tech system like that needed it's vacuume pump beat on with a rubber mallet to get it running! I guess the school did not wish to pay for a new pump. The main regulators where vacuume tubes as well.