Don't buy this DMM!

islw2863

Newly Enlightened
Don\'t buy this DMM!

I recently bought this Digital Multi Meter from an ebay seller in Hong Kong. I needed a meter that could measure higher than 500 ma, the limit on my old meter, for stuff I was building and measuring how much current my flashlights draw. It looks cool, measures fine as far as I can tell, and the price was good. So what's the problem you say?
DMM.jpg

It arrived (in two weeks) with an installed but dead battery. You think I'm complaining about a dead battery? Not. Upon using the meter I noticed everything seemed normal until I came back five minutes later. It turned on, measured whatever I asked it to, when turned off the display went blank as expected. When I came back five minutes later though the display was on again! I toggled the on/off button several times thinking my memory must be playing tricks on me. When I looked at it again hours later the display was on again! THe power button on this meter is a push button that is slightly raised when on and lower when off, so if you pay close attention you can feel and see what position it is in. The problem is the thing never turns off! Now I know why the battery was Dead On Arrival! I had to wire in a real on/off switch from my electronics junkyard to make it truly turn off. I saved a few bucks on purchase but lost overall considering how much time I spent fixing the damn thing. I should have bought a similar item from Sears for a few more bucks and if it turned out defective by design Sears would refund immediately.
DMMswitch.jpg

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Re: Don\'t buy this DMM!

Geez. I wonder if that was a component failure or a design mistake. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

gee i hate auto-off, wanna trade /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i got a 5$ deal off a web site for free, the puny battery was dead, but i didnt KNOW it.
so there i was reading volts that were getting Further and further off :) i kept readjusting my volt regulator, and the power kept going up?
finnaly i realized that i got what i paid for, and tore it open, to see one of them batteries for a garage door opener, 12v 2ma :).
so i proceeded to wire a 9V on the outside, and it works, but i will never trust it again.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

My craftsman autoranging DMM has auto off and it is annoying because you have to literally turn it off to get a reading when it decides to *sleep*. I have an older and a few newer cheap $3 harbor freight meters and the newer ones have an on/off slide switch which is very nice as you can leave it in a circuit and turn it off on whatever scale you want.
I may have to put a momentary switch on the craftsman to interrupt the power flow to it resetting it from sleep without turning the dial to off.

wquiles

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
GarageBoy said:
This is why I have a FLuke

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that brother !!!

I still have a severely beat-up, first generation Fluke 87 that still works PERFECTLY. I am like the 3rd owner of this oldie - talk about a great product /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Will

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

The auto sleep has saved me a lot of batteries over the years on my Fluke 73! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

It would be nice if you could adjust the timeout value for sleep mode, much like how you can adjust the inactivity timer for a screensaver.

TomH

Newly Enlightened

Honeytek?!?! Wonder if they are trying to fool the casual user into thinking that Honeywell has something to do with that DMMs manufacture.

And make this a 4th recommendation for Fluke. You get what you pay for, and this is especially true of DMMs