Where's the Bottom on a NIMH Battery?

jeff1500

Enlightened
Where\'s the Bottom on a NIMH Battery?

How far down should you drain a NIMH battery?

If you run them in a step-up circuit that drains them down the maximum amount, is that a bad thing?

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Re: Where\'s the Bottom on a NIMH Battery?

Very bad...very very VERY bad...

I try not to run nimh cells down below .8V each...and that's low. Some try not to run them below 2V.

I think .8V is ok.

but .6v? .4V way tooo low....

And charge immediately if you get down to levels like that!

Saaby

Flashaholic

NiMh cells are quite tough. They take A LOT of abuse, but discharge them that low and you're asking for trouble.

Empath

Flashaholic

If it's a single cell, or used in parallel, it's not critical as long as it doesn't bottom out. If they're cells in series, the one that drops below the others first will receive a reverse charge from the more powerful cell, which can be damaging. For safety, I'd recommend charging them as soon as they demonstrate a reduction in performance. One volt is probably low enough that I'd become concerned about the inequalities of the cells.

WarrenI

Newly Enlightened

The rule I have adopted is to not discharge to condition NiMH and NiCADs. I just charge before I need them, and this seems to work just fine. If you are storing them, you should charge them at least once every month or two. Due to their self discharge properties, they could go into this dangerous low voltage level by just sitting there unmonitored...

In the distant past, I followed all the sales clerk rules with discharging NiCAD packs and cells till dead, and charging to keep the cells in their best conditions. As I recall, not many of my packs and cells lasted past 1 year. If they did, their charge capacity was not very high...

In fact, I have started to use some of my unused NiCADs which are more than 5 year old. With the idea of not discharging the cells under 1 volt and using a smart charger, these old cells really work well. Deep discharging and overcharging killed these old cells. Once killed, nothing can revive them...

Yes, the older the cell, the more charge it may not hold. But, this is true as the cell is older. Like auto batteries, they do not stay new forever, even if they are not used. There no such thing as a rechargable cell that can hold a like new charge forever, charge after charge...