Sanyo NC-MQR02 a very well specified charger

blr

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys.
Just want to share my impressions of this charger I purchased while travelling overseas.
As it can be expected from Sanyo it's a very well specified charger. The best thing is that it features a peak voltage control as a primary charge termination mechanism. Here are all safety functions according to Sanyo:
1. Individual charging control
2. Timer control
3. Peak voltage control
4. Minus delta voltage detection
5. Temperature control/protection
6. Alkaline battery detection
7. Short circuited cells detection
The peak voltage detection or 0dV (which is the proper way to charge NiMH cells) is backed up by -dV, in other words if the electronics fail to detect the zero voltage slope the -dV kicks in. As a last resort there is a timer. When charging 1 or 2 cells you can chose between the quick channels charging at 1275 mA or the slow ones charging at 565 mA. 3 or 4 cells are always charged at 565 mA current. 1 or 2 AAA cells are charged at 310 mA. All this is enclosed in a very compact body and plugs directly into the wall (via cable in Europe and with a foldable plug in the US). Works worldwide on 100-240V.
What can I say about the charger in use? The advantage of 0dV charge termination is obvious especially when charging at 1275 mA. The cells get heated only to about 40 degrees C. In fact there is no difference in cell temperature at the end of charge when charging fast and slow.
To me this is all a charger should be, no fancy stuff just a properly specified charger with plenty of overcharge protection. I gave away my LightningPack 4000N and will use ths Sanyo instead. The only thing that is missing is a discharge function and a separate light indicators for each channel (it has only one LED that turns off when the last cell is ready).
Last is price. I paid about 25 Euro for the charger packed with 2 2100 mAh cells in a word low for Europe.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Blr,

That sounds like an excellent charger.

As far as the lack of a discharge cycle, might I suggest a flashlight? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tom

red02

Enlightened
I've been using this charger as long as I've had my eneloops. Outstanding charger. Really like the fact that it doesn't need a wire which is a pain to pack and takes up loads of space.

Last edited:

mfm

Enlightened
How do it's specs compare to the MQHO3? It sounds very similar

The MQH03 charges twice as fast.

I bought the MQR02 in Hong Kong by mistake, thinking it was the MQH02 (which charges as fast as the MQH03)...

kxenl

Newly Enlightened
MRQ02N is an older charger, but it was sold in "Family Packs" with Eneloop cells. This document gives interesting details about Sanyo chargers : only termination method mentioned is voltage, charger will accept and start to charge empty cells, maintenance charge after termination is 5 mA for AA 3 mA for AAA etc.

Latest posts