Headlamp suggestions please

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have started using my cheap headlamp a little more, often enough that I could justify getting a new one. I think the one I have now is an Energizer, 3 led, 2 white, 1 red. No spill but good to read with.
What I want..
1. More spill
2. 2 levels of output
3. Red LED, not nessasary buy I would like the option.
4. Smaller the better
5. Luxeon if possible
5. price around $50, unless of course the one I want is more.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I want to use it on the boat for fishing (the low setting) and a brighter setting would be useful for walking a campsite..
Thanks Guys!

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the look of the Petzl Tikka XP, but it seems a bit annoying that it's a 1W lux in there when they are using the 3W in the Petzl Myo XP.

I'd like to know how the two compare, considering I've seen the Myo XP in action and I really love the thing (especially the flood beam option) but I don't like the separate battery pack. You might though.

Also, there is an accessory pack available which has coloured flood adators, so you could have red if you want, but it may mean that you get white spot/red flood.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have two of these nightblaster incan 3led headlamps with 2 white 1 red LED. I have been *thinking* about modding them with white luxeons in place of the incan which may be about what you want in the end.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I posted in another thread recently, I definitly think the PT EOS is a best buy. Generally had for around $35, its very compact and water resistant and has a good switch (which I can't say about my PT Aurora- horrible switch- I gave it away). The best thing about this headlamp is that its got awesome regulation. The only disadvantage is that there is no built in diffuser, but a little creativity can easily solve this.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the Priceton Tec Eos in Gray (cheapest price) for $27.95. REI, Eos

1 Watt Luxeon.

3 level light

Small and compact.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Pydpiper said:
I have started using my cheap headlamp a little more, often enough that I could justify getting a new one. I think the one I have now is an Energizer, 3 led, 2 white, 1 red. No spill but good to read with.
What I want..
1. More spill
2. 2 levels of output
3. Red LED, not nessasary buy I would like the option.
4. Smaller the better
5. Luxeon if possible
5. price around $50, unless of course the one I want is more.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I want to use it on the boat for fishing (the low setting) and a brighter setting would be useful for walking a campsite..
Thanks Guys!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just an FYI: in Walmart, I noticed a new Energizer headlamp. It has I think 6 LEDs: 2 white wide-beams, 2 white narrows, and a couple of reds. Very different from the one Quickbeam reviewed.
It was very tempting. Runs on 3xAAA. Don't recall the price.

Was right next ro the $18 Brinkmann Luxeon headlamp (which you could mod with a simple resistor for high-low output.

Bob

DarthLumen

Newly Enlightened
Go with the PT EOS. I believe it's actually advertised as being "waterproof" to 1 meter. Petzels are "water resistant".

I was not impressed with the Myo XP's battery pack cover...a rubber piece that covers the frame...didn't seem like a tight fit.

The only falt I have with the EOS is that is closer to a spot than and flood....I wish it had a bit more spill. Still an awesome light for its size and price. You can't go wrong.

If only PT could get their act together with their handhelds. With their prices, waterproof integrity, and the use of 4 AAA's or AA's which aid in boosting runtimes, they would be a "thorn in the side" for some of these other manufacturers.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Pedalin
I believe the price of the 6LED headbeam energizer (or whatever it is called) is something like $14.87, or about $2 more than the regular headbeam. Too bad it wasn't the same price and replaces the headbeam, at nearly $15 it is too close to the price of luxeon LED headlamps to be a good buy.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a few out there.
Last night I had to fix my fridge, I used my wall mart energizer headlamp and it was hardly enough light to work.. It is only the 2 led one though.
I want a bigger better one.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im looking for a headlamp also. I'm about to buy the Priceton Tec Eos ,

However I have sceen some Lux III headlamps for the same price, that are run of 2 123's it was on an add at teh top of the page but I don't have the site offhand.

Can anyone help me make a decision? I really like teh Priceton Tec Eos as my friend has one, but I HATE the fact it uses AAA's and not AA's since they don't last very long at all. I'd have to buy a NIMH charger and batteries just for the headlamp.

Any headlamps out there than run on Pila 150A's?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I made a 12LED headlamp using 26k LEDs and it is bright enough to do most stuff I can think of, and the larger floodish spot is more useful within 15 feet than a headlamp with a spot to it. Although I haven't tried it I beleive szwholesale sells a 12LED 2AA headlamp for what appears to be fairly cheap but beware of hidden shipping charges as I haven't looked into that yet.
I like the 3AAA headlamps but agree for doing anything serious sometimes they are woefully underpowered or lack decent runtime to the point of a high output version almost requires you to recharge the batteries after every use so you don't get stuck in the fading....... dark.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I purchased the Petzl Tikka XP last week, and am impressed with the light output. The medium setting is brighter than my old Eveready LED Headlamp. Since AAA batteries are so light and cheap, I don't see any big deal with carrying a spare set on weeklong backpacking trips.

However, the PT EOS is an excellent headlamp, and can be found below $30 at REI.COM. I missed the sale on the Tikka XP, and paid $49.95 for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe my next headlamp will be a wallmart special modded with TWOK and Pila 150A...that is the the EOS does not do the trick, I actualy find the beam on it to be usefulas I often need a bright spot when working mechanicaly.