CCrane/Saitek Charger User Tip(s)

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are using either of these fast/smart chargers and experience a jump from "soft charge" mode directly to "top-off" mode, this is of course an indication of old, tired cells, and will result in only about a 60% charge.
frown.gif

If you are in this situation, and still need to use these batteries, a second, or even a third re-start of the charge cycle will a lot of times result in the Proper sequence of the charge function.
Soft-start->fast charge->top-off->trickle cycle.

It is also possible to institute this proper cycle by inserting an extra (unimportant) cell-of similar capacity, to cut the current that the weaker cells don't want to accept.
I've found this out from using both of the above chargers for thousands of charge cycles.

p.s.-another indication of proper operation on these chargers is to watch the voltage display.
Example:
In soft-start mode the digital voltage reading will many times read 1.52V+ for 3 or 4 minutes and then will BACK DOWN to a reading of 1.48, 1.49, or 1.5 Volts.
When you see the voltage reading displayed in that sequence, you will know that your smart charger is working exactly as it was intended to.
icon14.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought maybe the post above might help some users, but may have gotten lost in this dynamically growing forum..so I'm bumping it this one time.
tongue.gif