Nightcutter thoughts?

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
My apologies, I know I've seen this line discussed in the past but cannot search the older threads.

Was curious about the P20 & 5 LED models but would also welcome comments about the M60.
Thanks.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a P20 on my belt every day at work. It's a great light. Bright enough for me to check out basements, crawl spaces and unlit closets. The battery life seems to be pretty good, too. I'm not sure if it's regulated, or direct-drive. It came with an interchangable lens system. The one it has installed stock from the factory is the narrow beam lens. A wide angle beam lens was supposedly available, but I never bought one.
The belt clip is sturdy, and removable with an allen key. I put mine in a holster that originally came with a mini maglite. It's a tight fit at first, but after a day, it streched out, and the clip holds it securely in place.
Unfortunately, Lightship Enterprises no longer makes flashlights. If you want one, you'll have to find a dealer who has some leftovers. There's a CPF member (Phil Elmore?) who was a seller of these lights. I think he ran a discussion board or something called "the martialist". He may be able to help you and give you more info.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the head's up.

I'm feeling disatisfied and upped my budget. I've long wanted a SF but would like to get a light that is from a smaller producer. The main desire is unique yet first rate machining in a production level light, preferably US origin. The M60 caught my eye in this regard. Looking for a 2x123 configuration.

If you were going to consider a $160 light, what might you suggest?

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire L4 is a sweet light.

Nuwai TM301X (5W) and TM303 (3W 2-stage) look like nice choices for budget-minded people.

Jeff

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a NightCuter M60L. It is a great light. It goes everywhere with me clipped in my right front pocket. I did modify it by putting a 17 mm reflector and a UCL into it. I had to sand the UCL down a bit to fit. I call it my personal pocket flood light.
You really have to see one in person to appreciate what a work of art it is.

The Surefire L4 is a nice light too and I looked at it and the M60L before buying the M60L. I liked the fact the the M60L is more compact and I personally liked the design more. I keep the crenated bezel on my NightCutter as it gives me another 3 to 4 feet of light around the edge of the corona. This little light is bright enough to use as a backup mountain bike headlight. The batteries will give more then and hour of run time before the circuitry cannot keep the light bright anymore. I have never done a runtime test on my light but I know it is over an hour probably around and hour and fifteen minutes give or take a few minutes. :wave:

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
RA40 said:
If you were going to consider a $160 light, what might you suggest?

If you are already commited to spending upwards of $160, the Gladius is not out of reach (what's another $40 give or take?). You might even be able to find a U2 in the $200 price range as well.

Keep in mind, there are many other options- if you go one cell (and there will undoubtedly be 2 cell battery packs in the future) , HDS is a best in class brand of lights that are right around your range.

Also, don't overlook cheaper lights; the Inova T3 is built like a tank and will compete with the big boys in terms of output for $50-$70.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solstice does have a point about increasing your budget a little bit more. I have a Gladius as well as a NightCutter M60L. You would actually have to up your budget around $70 and be sure to get the Gladius from a reputable dealer. I got mine from-

http://www.strategosstore.com/store.asp

If I remember right it was around $235. There are many reputable dealers out there. Strategos is the one I chose to purchase from. The reason I say purchase from a reputable dealer is so they will take care of you in the odd chance you need warranty repair. If I could only own one of these lights it would be the Gladius. My NightCutter gets more use because it is more compact and has a pocket clip. So it goes everywhere with me day or night. Night-Ops will soon have a Gladius model with a straight body and a removeable pocket clip, but the NightCutter is way more compact. The beams are also different. The NightCutter M60L, as I have it set up, is a little pocket flood light that still has decent throw. The Gladius Throws much farther, but does not have the same "area" illuminating ability as the NightCutter. Both are very high quality lights with different purposes. My Gladius gets added to my belt, in its holder, every night so that I have both lights and use whatever one is most suited to the particular task. The Gladius also has many other unique features.

You mentioned a $160 budget, if that is firm the M60L would be a great choice and so would a Surefire L4. If you can add some funds to your budget the Gladius would be a great choice.

Once you get to the $200 range your choices seem to open up

HDS EDC lights
McGizmo McLux III PD
etc.
:wave: