Led upgrade thoughts please ?

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
So , I have this 700 lumen xm-l light , I'm thinking it's 12 years old ? Could do with a update lolz
What could I use ? What would be compatible?
Any nice beam emitters ? Any ideas ! Nichia/cree/luminous I'd appreciate it 🙏

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that maybe you should post a picture of your light, preferably taken apart as much as you can so we see internals, otherwise how are we supposed to know what is comparable what is not, we need to see what type and size of the driver, size of the mcpcb, that is a minimum what we need to tell you what is comparable and will work in your light.

LEDphile

Enlightened
Pad-compatible options to replace XM-L are the later variants in the XM-L family (XM-L2, XM-L3), the 3V variants of XHP50 (pad is close but not identical), and the Luminus 40 series (your choice of dome or flat-top). XM-L3 is probably your best option for more flux, although the flat top from Luminus will give you more throw, and if you want high CRI, you'll need to drop down to XM-L2 or the 3V XHP-50.3.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that maybe you should post a picture of your light, preferably taken apart as much as you can so we see internals, otherwise how are we supposed to know what is comparable what is not, we need to see what type and size of the driver, size of the mcpcb, that is a minimum what we need to tell you what is comparable and will work in your light.
That's fair enough tbh , by stating the emitter I guessed it would not matter. It's an old thrunite scorpion V2

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
you need to change the MCPCB so you can use a Nichia or SST-20

here you can buy a Nichia installed on a 16mm mcpcb, so you just remove the old board and install the new one:

here is a modding tutorial, showing the process, tools, and supplies
Hey yeah I've used kaidomain alot in the past , swapping boards is easy thanks 🙏 as I've been out of the game I was more worried about which led to use ? Voltages colours tints , some LEDs are easier to drive and will be kinder to an old light I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was more worried about which led to use ?
the Nichia 519a that I linked you to on Kaidomain is the most popular new LED on the market, and works very well to replace an XM-L. There is no problem with power levels and voltage.

the tint of the 519a is very neutral and close to the BBL, and they have fantastic Color Rendering.

The 519a also works very well in an XM-L reflector, that is why I use it in the V11r shown in the modding album.

you can choose whichever color temp you prefer, kaidomain has a great selection

Last edited:

LEDphile

Enlightened
I'd be cautious about moving to a 3535 package from the 5050 package used by the XM-L, especially without knowing the drive current. XM-L is rated for 3A, but the Nichia 519 is only rated for 2.2A and the high-CRI SST-20 is only rated for 2A (the low CRI SST-20 is good for 3A). If the drive current is under 2A, you should be fine, but for 700 lumens OTF from an XM-L, that's likely in the 2.5-3A range. Additionally, the optical centers of the LEDs are almost certainly at different z-heights, which may or may not matter depending on the optic/reflector in use.

To the OP, what are your goals for this mod? That will help inform an appropriate LED selection.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be cautious about moving to a 3535 package from the 5050 package used by the XM-L, especially without knowing the drive current. XM-L is rated for 3A, but the Nichia 519 is only rated for 2.2A and the high-CRI SST-20 is only rated for 2A (the low CRI SST-20 is good for 3A). If the drive current is under 2A, you should be fine, but for 700 lumens OTF from an XM-L, that's likely in the 2.5-3A range. Additionally, the optical centers of the LEDs are almost certainly at different z-heights, which may or may not matter depending on the optic/reflector in use.

To the OP, what are your goals for this mod? That will help inform an appropriate LED selection.
Hi, I understand what your saying , my goal is - because it's out of date I can probably give it a nice led and a little boost at the same time . the 519a looks nice , and it won't be maxed much so I'd say it should be safe in there, might even go 3500k to make me feel warm an fuzzy. The scorpion is my shelf light , then when I fancy using it I use it. Winter time mostly as the design is awesome with fat winter gloves specifically.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forgot to say , I've never had a high cri so that would be nice , walking the dog and all , out and about, forest trees , fields , countryside.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
btw, you should pick up some centering rings, so you have options if the stock centering ring does not work (I dont know what the inside of your light looks like)

and I recommend you use fresh thermal paste

the only issue I anticipate is that the kaidomain mcpcb might me 0.5mm thicker, which might create a slightly larger gap at the bezel (purely cosmetic)

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
btw, you should pick up some centering rings, so you have options if the stock centering ring does not work (I dont know what the inside of your light looks like)

and I recommend you use fresh thermal paste

the only issue I anticipate is that the kaidomain mcpcb might me 0.5mm thicker, which might create a slightly larger gap at the bezel (purely cosmetic)
I was just looking at the centering ring and thought the same ! I'll use your tip on the paste thanks, any brand ? Mcpcb thickness is not an issue in this design 👍 good thinking though , I've had to sand things to fit before lolz

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
on the paste thanks, any brand ?
the words thermal paste above, is a link to "Arctic Silver 5" on Amazon USA.. (if the link does not work in UK, go to your Amazon UK and search "Arctic Silver 5" or "thermal paste")..

I dont think it actually matters too much what brand you buy
that is just the only one I have used, since I learned to swap LEDs, lol

... or if you want to just order it all from the same place, kaidomain has several thermal compound packages that are inexpensive. I have not tried them, but they seem conveniently small for your single swap..

I hope your mod goes smoothly, share your success! ;-)

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could do with a update lolz
What could I use ? What would be compatible?
Any nice beam emitters ? Any ideas !
Thanks for posting, that is a neat light. I wonder if the driver could be cannibalized for use in another light, but the tail twist action suggests not.

At any rate, for the original host, I would start with this. And since there's still 7 available, get 3. Mod one to 2000K, one to 3500K, one to 5000K. I would want them with Nichia E21A. I'd also see if the bezel is removable and try to find a smooth stainless bezel for them. No one ever uses crenellations.

Last edited:

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting, that is a neat light. I wonder if the driver could be cannibalized for use in another light, but the tail twist action suggests not.

At any rate, for the original host, I would start with this. And since there's still 7 available, get 3. Mod one to 2000K, one to 3500K, one to 5000K. I would want them with Nichia E21A. I'd also see if the bezel is removable and try to find a smooth stainless bezel for them. No one ever uses crenellations.
That is just a reflector swap. I had a turbo head and sold it lolz didn't like it at all. All the electronics stay with the main body.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMG_20230117_191652_952.jpg
bad phone pics ! Actually just bad pics , hope to give some idea once I swap the led , the fenix is a well known light so I picked it for comparison