Surefire Z3 Combatlight Upgrade?

bklyn_irish

Newly Enlightened
I have an old Surefire Z3 Combatlight that I've have for a number of years that I'd like to (again) upgrade. It's currently wearing a Surefire KX4 head and surely there are brighter offerings available.

Recommendations?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Tough to power competitively with lithium ion rechargeables the last time I checked, though. Back in the day we'd use 2x17500 or 2x18500 LiIon for more watt-hours than a single 18650, but the revolution in power density for the 18650 was never applied to those other cells.

Unless things have changed, it made more sense to put in a modern 16650 and a spacer, essentially making it into merely a rechargeable Z2 that's 50% longer.

Which is unfortunate; I have always liked the 3-cell Surefires. :-/
Years ago I gave up on powering my SF C3 with LiIon rechargeables; now I merely load it with 3xCR123 primaries for backup, to my superior 'two-cell' 1x18650 lights.

Edit: Well, there is still the 2xAA implementation, but that's just for people one cell shy of a full load. ;-)

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Herein lies the rub- I cannot find the original head to accept the drop-in.
You'll probably just have to locate one in the B/S/T of this forum or watch some auctions. They're not too difficult to find and Malkoff is really the best option these days. I'm mostly incan myself though still with the 3 cell lights.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Check Lumens Factory, Mark has a nice selection of Z44 style bezels. I agree a M91B would be the drop-in of choice, and it will take up to 12v so three 16340 Li-ion cells could also be used.

z2-1.jpg

bklyn_irish

Newly Enlightened
Check Lumens Factory, Mark has a nice selection of Z44 style bezels. I agree a M91B would be the drop-in of choice, and it will take up to 12v so three 16340 Li-ion cells could also be used.

View attachment 56019

Thanks for the steer on Lumens Factory, as I was also looking to upgrade two Insight Technology M3 weapon lights, and they had the kits for it.

I've also located a K44 head elsewhere and will go with the M91B.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just think that Malkoff has old school Surefire quality still.. and Surefire doesn't anymore.
They're both good still. Recently bought from both.
The Surefire EDC2-DFT is very good indeed.