Surefire Fury Intellibeam doesn't work with Surefire 18650s

rrego

Enlightened
Wow, that sucks. When I called the person I spoke with told me the turn around time was 30 days give or take a week. Maybe that just has to do with that specific model. Some manufacturers have production schedules and only make certain models at certain times. I got lucky though they actually fixed mine within a day and sent it on it's way back to me. Simple adjustment is all it needed and the guy I spoke with said he was going to try and get it done as soon as possible. Anyway in my case if everything works out I'm impressed. I should have it today.
I finally did send them today. Yeah, hopefully I get them back before the 60 day mark. I think the DFT would just be a replacement, but the Fury Defender, hopefully they can fix changing out the LED. I asked them if they didn't have a Defender head if they could put the strike bezel from my light on a new head and he said they couldn't and would probably simply remove the damaged head and install a new one (non Defender). I'll see how that works out.

dddrees

Newly Enlightened
Good luck, and here's hoping it's sooner than later. As I mentioned earlier they didn't even notify me mine was on its way back until I called them. It was sent back real quick within a day but I would still expect they a\had an automative system to notified users when sending their flashlights back. Could be a fluke, I don't know.
Just curious did they pay for your shipping as well?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I must not have been clear. The batteries that Surefire sent with the Fury Intellibeams did and do work. They just don't perform as long or reliably as the Orbtronic 3500 mAh High Drain with button top. This picture helps explain part of the problem.

Surefire obviously designed the Fury Intellibeam to match with their 18650 with USB charger included. That battery is much longer than most 18650s. And, they did not install a spring on the LED side, so a 18650 that has a button top is required. Many lights are designed either with two springs, or with a design so that the head will make solid contact with flat top batteries. The Cloud Defensive and Panasonic 18650s in the picture do not work in the Fury (they work perfectly in the Cloud Defensive and Malkoff lights). But, the Orbtronic works perfectly in the Fury. I am glad that Surefire designed it so that it does have the capacity to handle other batteries than just it's own. I much prefer that design to the one in the original PR1 Intellibeam that was designed for a propriety battery.

It is pretty simple to have some batteries that are set aside for a special light. And, the Surefire Fury Intellibeam really is a special all purpose light for me.

Hope this helps.
View attachment 58834
That is one very proprietary 18650. I thought SF used good Japanese core cells that they relabeled? I know the SF CR123's actually are US made upscale lithium cells but I also know the newer USB port 16340 they are using are made in China. Orbtronic as stated above is one of the best reliable legit cell re wraps or core cells themselves you can go to. The 3500mah 10amp is indeed perfect. The fact that Orbtronic is using more modern safety circuits shows. Keeppower Has been using old safety circuits that are not as sophisticated as on an Orbtronic. Using 3500mah HIGH DRAIN is a bit overkill. Just the 3500mah Orb cells are almost always exactly what you need.