Is mini Ampere important for CR123A?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
If a rechargeable CR123A 3.0V has high mini Ampere, would it fried a regulated gladius LED light? Gladius can handle max of 7.0V.

I have Jsburley CR123A 3.0V rechargeable. It comes off charger at 3.2V It suppose to have lower ampere.

I found battery space CR123A 3.0 to have 680mAH capacity. Will this blow LED Gladius? This is battery space URL:

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1641

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
mAH (milliamps per hour) only refers to the capacity of the battery (how long it will last). The higher the mAH, the longer the light will run.

Really, the rechargeables JSB is selling come off the charger at 3.2v? I don't have any experience with those 3v RCR123's, but I thought I had understood that they come off the charger at 3.6 or 3.7 and then immediately drop to 3.2v underload.

Either way, they shouldn't blow the Gladius, but please don't take my word for it! (I don't want to be at fault for blowing such an expensive light!) If it will handle 7v max, then 3.2 x 2 won't be a problem, no matter how many mAH's the battery has. Generally, the more mAH's you can get, the better the battery. (and the more the battery will cost, generally speaking)

AW

Newly Enlightened
You 'd better use protected batteries in series for safety. To test whether these 3V cell are protected or not, you can ' flash amp ' them with a DMM set to 10/20A. If the reading is 0.0V, the protection circuit is functioning well. If you have a reading of 5+ amps, you'd better stop right away because there is no protection there. I test each and everyone of my protected batteries to make sure the PCB work when I receive them and once again before I ship them out to ensure safety and proper functioning of the PCB. I have review samples of the 3V cells from quite a few manufacturers and none have been shown to have this basic ' short circuit ' protection which is the most important safety feature.

-AW

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW:

I'm glad to hear that you check the PCBs twice in your cells before shipping them out to customers. This shows what a A+ vendor you are! :D

Thanks for the extra effort for our safety!

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW said:
You 'd better use protected batteries in series for safety. To test whether these 3V cell are protected or not, you can ' flash amp ' them with a DMM set to 10/20A. If the reading is 0.0V, the protection circuit is functioning well. If you have a reading of 5+ amps, you'd better stop right away because there is no protection there. I test each and everyone of my protected batteries to make sure the PCB work when I receive them and once again before I ship them out to ensure safety and proper functioning of the PCB. I have review samples of the 3V cells from quite a few manufacturers and none have been shown to have this basic ' short circuit ' protection which is the most important safety feature.

-AW

what do you mean by DMM set to 10/20A? I am not fluent with all the lingo in this forum.

AW

Newly Enlightened
wptski : Thanks !

picard : It means to set your Digital Multi Meter to the highest current test setting ( some meters have 10A / better ones have 20A ) and short the cell very briefly to check the current flow. Proceed with caution.