Seized Lanyard

dfred

Enlightened
I have been hanging around CPF for a couple months, but this is my first time starting a topic. I've been consistently impressed with the quality of information and advice here, so I decided it was time to contribute something.

I've been looking for a compact lanyard which reduces the likelihood of fumbling a flashlight. I'm not a big fan of wrist lanyards as they always seem to get caught on stuff. I came across the Koppo Wrap, which I liked but it seemed like there must be a way to accomplish the same thing with less bulk. I started experimenting with various knot configurations that might produce something a little nicer. Most were either insecure, too bulky or both. I made some progress with seized jug hitches, but it was very difficult to tighten them sufficiently to get good purchase on the flashlight.

After several hours of experimentation I eventually arrived at a purely seized method, using constrictor knots which worked better than I imagined possible. Think of constrictor knots as pre-industrial cable-ties. There are several methods to tie them, but two common ones are as a hitch or threaded.

I settled on using 500# paracord for the lanyard and 1.5mm Sterling MINI cord for the constrictors. The lanyards pictured have been in use for about 4-6 weeks and are holding up well. I've really come to like how it feels in the hand and have added this to a few of my lights. For those of you unfamiliar with this style of lanyard, the middle and ring fingers go inside the loop and the index and pinky go outside.

dsc_5565.small.cropped.jpg

Note that lanyard is aligned with witness mark in flashlight body.

dsc_5568.small.cropped.jpg

I find that the loop up inside the clip actually "latches" on the lip of my jeans pocket and makes clip carry more secure.

dsc_5582.small.cropped.jpg

The T2 was my original inspiration for this project... :)

While it might be a bit tricky for a knot newbie, some of the scouts, sailors and other knot savvy folks here might want to try replicating it.

Here are some explanatory pictures and notes.

dsc_6048.small.jpg

dsc_6060.small.jpg

The above two pictures show the path of the lanyard around the flashlight and how the ends crossover at the top of the lanyard loop. Notice how the body loops go around the flashlight in opposite directions. This allows the ends to lay cleanly in the finished lanyard. I've used larger line here than would be practical and seized them with white paracord solely for illustrative purposes. See below for the actual order the constrictor knots should be tied.

dsc_5571.small.annot.jpg

This picture shows the order the constrictor knots are tied.

The main problem this technique is trying to solve is how to get the loops around the flashlight very tight. You'll note that A and C are tied before B and D, respectively. That is, A is fully tightened with the paracord loop around the flashlight snug but not super tight, the idea is to leave only enough room so B can just barely be tied "underneath" A. If done correctly, this causes the loop around the flashlight to be tightened to an incredible extent when B is cinched. It takes some practice, but tied properly over good knurling it's nearly immovable.

Tightening C is your last chance to adjust the lanyard loop size, it'll probably take a few tries before you get a sense of how the lanyard changes size with the rest of the tying operations. The ends of the paracord are cut short on the "outside" of F and G. Resist the temptation to flame the ends of either the paracord or the constrictor knots. Just cut them as short as possible using good side-cutters or fingernail clippers.

It goes without saying that all these constrictor knots should be tied as tightly as possible. Short of breaking the line or cutting the sheath of the paracord, pull on them as hard as you can. A little hint about removing constrictor knots if you need to adjust things... You only have to cut the crossing loop on the top of the knot and it'll pop right off. Doing it this way will help prevent cutting whatever's underneath. But do note that repeatedly tying such a severe knot on the same spot on the lanyard could weaken it.

And finally here are some random thoughts on the advantages of the seized method vs. the wrap:

Advantages of "Seized Lanyard":

- More elegant
- Very good dimensional stability if properly tied
- Doesn't increase diameter of flashlight
- Minimal reduction in cooling efficiency
- Loop formed without lumpy sheet bend in the loop
- Can be aligned to witness marks to give better sense of flashlight orientation
- Can be tied on flashlights with clips (tie 90 degrees offset from clip)

Advantages of whipping-style wrap method:

- Easier to understand method of tying
- Could be removed and 2-3' of paracord used in emergency
- Easier to adjust

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
You have defined this particular type of lanyard wrapping very well in this post DFred! Excellent! I like they way it looks on your SF. Thanks for sharing. . .

dfred

Enlightened
Thanks very much for the feedback, both of you!

I'll be very interested to hear back whether anybody gives this a try or comes up with improvements. While I've sort of settled on this design for now, there are no doubt other useful variations.

And, BTW, it's not really that hard to do, just takes some trial and error to get the hang of it. Though getting good at tying constrictor knots is definitely a prerequisite. :)

I'd be glad to answer any questions, etc...

dfred

Enlightened
Thanks guys! Let me know how it went, DUQ...

leukos said:
dfred,

You must be a "lefty"? :)
Actually, I'm right handed but I assume you say that because of the position of the lanyard on the L2 relative to the clip?

Since I tend to use the light overhand for some tasks and underhand for others, the lanyard basically needs to work both ways. So all things being equal, since the witness mark was nicely offset 90 degrees from the clip I decided to align it with that. Given my hand size and the position of the lanyard the clip is reasonably comfortable in both directions -- and in both hands for that matter...

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
:kewlpics: That is really cool!!

Heres what I use on my HAIII Mag85:

(HOTLINKED pics not allowed - pic deleted)

The grip is nice and tacky rubber, feels like an inside out wet-suit.

The strap is adjustable and theres a clip you can clip to an belt loop etc. It really works for me too.

-PSM

Last edited by a moderator:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dfred...
Holy cow, that's exactly the sort of idea I've had floating in my head for my Inova T4! I have to say that your method is much nicer than the one attempt I've made so far.

Another benefit... instant anti-roll!

dfred

Enlightened
zespectre said:
Dfred...
Holy cow, that's exactly the sort of idea I've had floating in my head for my Inova T4! I have to say that your method is much nicer than the one attempt I've made so far.

Another benefit... instant anti-roll!

You're absolutely right about the anti-roll. That's why I started looking for something for my T2 in the first place. If you put one on your T4, definitely post a pic if possible. :)

And PoliceScannerMan, thanks... It looks like one's whole hand go through that webbing strap, right?

BTW, I've added some additional pictures that show the path of the cord around the flashlight. It was pretty hard to see with the black-on-black finished lanyards in my original photos. Also rewrote the explanation a little.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will do, and thanks for the additional pictures. I'll still have to refer to "ye olde knots book" but at least now I know what I'm looking for.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm leery of any lanyard that gives me no option to get out of it in an instant at any time.

On the positive side this one looks like it may only take two fingers in a misshap. On the negative side, if whatever your light gets hung up on doesn't take two fingers off it may pull your whole hand in and take that...or your whole arm...or leave you hanging all by yourself from an overhead somewhere.

Whatever lanyard you favor you should always carry a sharp knife so that in a pinch you may cut it off or at least have the option to remove your fingers, hand or arm if things go really wrong and you are lucky enough to have the opportunity to do so.

There can be quite a bit more at stake here than just losing your light. Some situations are much more forgiving than others.

tm3

Newly Enlightened
really neat post!

what is a good source for the para cord you refer to?

CLHC

Flashaholic
Tadgear<dot>Com, LightHound<dot>Com and Jtice<—(CPF Member) sells para cords. . .

dfred

Enlightened
Sub_Umbra said:
I'm leery of any lanyard that gives me no option to get out of it in an instant at any time.
[...]

Excellent points about lanyards. And it's one of the big reasons I don't like wrist lanyards. And don't get me started about long, dangly things worn around the neck! I've worked in a couple place which required ID badges at all times and was constantly amazed how unaware people are of the hazards. So many "breakaway" lanyards are poorly designed so that the breakaway is on the end most likely to become entagled, thus negating any safety advantage it might have. I always use those retractable belt or pocket clip ID badge retainers.

But getting back to how your comments apply to this finger loop style lanyard... One of the nice things about it is that the loop doesn't have to be particularly tight around the fingers to function well. When the hand is open, tension can be maintained by pressing into the flashlight body with the index and little fingers while pulling back with the middle two. Stop doing that and your fingers will come right out.

I do agree with you that awareness of the potential risk is definitely the first step in avoiding trouble.

tm3 said:
what is a good source for the para cord you refer to?

In addition to the sources listed by CHC, it can often be found at outdoor stores and Army surplus stores. The term paracord is short for parachute cord.

It's a smooth, sheathed nylon cord roughly 3/16" (4-5mm) in diameter and is quite supple and somewhat stretchy in longer lengths. Usually it's rated at around 300-500lbs (130-225kg) breaking strength.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dfred,
I did create a lanyard for the Inova T4 last night but instead of using more constrictor knots I actually did a "whip" around the arc. I'll post a picture of it when I get home. Sadly, the whipping looks nice but my knots are UGLY <sigh>. I'll probably try it again on another light. I'm really out of practice with my knots.

dfred

Enlightened
zespectre said:
Dfred,
I did create a lanyard for the Inova T4 last night but instead of using more constrictor knots I actually did a "whip" around the arc. I'll post a picture of it when I get home. Sadly, the whipping looks nice but my knots are UGLY <sigh>. I'll probably try it again on another light. I'm really out of practice with my knots.

Well, looks aren't everything. :) Whipping the finger loop would definitely give it a smoother look, over the top. That's the great thing about ropework, there's always another variation to try...

Are you satisfied with the grip the line got on the T4?

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I settled the line in the knurling and then used your idea of one constrictor as an "anchor" and the other to tighten the loop. Worked great though I had to use a couple of pairs of pliers to pull the second knot tight enough for my satisfaction. Of course nylon stretches when wet so we'll see how it holds then.