O-ring lubrication? What's safe to use?

Astro_Saber_III

Newly Enlightened
O-ring lubrication? What\'s safe to use?

Have a Streamlight UltraStinger and the watertight O-rings are getting dry and the light actually took in a small amount of water last time I used it. Glad I discovered the water right away and got the light dried out.

My questions is what do you or manufactures use to lubricate the o-rings?

Thanks in advance guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Re: O-ring lubrication? What\'s safe to use?

Hi Astro

I use molykote 111 valve and O-Ring lubricant. I am not sure of the availability of this outside Australia though... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

AFAIK, so long as its not petroleum based grease/lubricant, you're good to go. There are many local brands that I think you can get from RadioShack, etc, I personally found a small tub of silicone grease from a dive shop, and it looks like its gonna last me ages.

lightemup

Flashaholic*

Hi again penthrox /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

When I drive past the shop tomorrow I will tell you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It is actually more of a industrial supplier than a retail shop...

I actually discovered it by asking my local watchmaker what lube he used...

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

penTHRox,

The 100 percent silicone lubricant for spark plug contacts and boots which is sold by all auto parts stores here in the USA works fine for me, is cheap, is readily available, and can be purchased in small tubes. There must be an auto parts store near you somewhere, and they probably sell this stuff. It's not the only solution, but it does work great.

zumlin

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
penTHrox said:
lightemup what store do you buy that from?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey I wanna know too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast

Any Hardware store in th USA (Ace, True Value) in the plumbing section- It is pure silicone, made for Orings.

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!
Recent additions to My Lights: *** http://www.tjtech.org/gallery/NikolaTesla/Dscn3236

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use Chap Stick Lip Gloss to lubricate the O rings. I know, it is very low-tech. I've never had a problem in all the years I've used the lip gloss. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Many here have used non petroleum silicone grease with great results. Available in any hardware store, plumbing section.

FNinjaP90

Enlightened

Yep. Plumber's silicone grease from Home Depot right here. Works wonders. Saturate the orings and threads and water will have a really hard time getting in.

Chingyul

Newly Enlightened

What about silicon oil? I have the RC shock stuff. Work?

What about for threads. WOuld that stuff not be viscous enough? I have a 20 and 40 weight.

Astro_Saber_III

Newly Enlightened
Re:

Thanks for all the input. After reading everyones post, WHAM, it hit me. My car dealer gave me a aerosol can of 100% silicon spray for the sun-roof's rubber seal. Working good so far, after 1 hour in the bathtub (flashlight only /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif), no water leakage.

Thanks again for all the input, you all steared me in the right direction /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Latest posts